Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Thomas "check" on Sedin was one hell of an "ohhhh snap" moment.

Burrows sure got a lot of fingers in his face :)

I have played some high level hockey, and the good thing about last nights game is how badly the Nucks got beat. It is always easier to come back from a pounding than it is to loose a close one that you should have won or let a game slip away. They can look at last night as a bad mistake and come back tomorrow.

Didn't see the Horton hit live, just watched the post above. Yes it was late, probably going to be something coming out of it, but Horton had to know he was comming. You don't watch your pass after it is off your stick. And the ice did 99.9% of the damage, he banged his noggin really hard there. Not a good thing to happen, not defending Rome at all, but not really a cheap hit, just bad timing and bad end results.

I see the Canucks coming back and putting a good hurt to the B's next game.

And there wouldn't be so much flopping by the Nucks if the B's would keep there damn sticks to themselves. I have full respect to guys that drop the mits, but to jab and slash as a player skates away is a big coward, and there have been SEVERAL time Boston has done it in the 3 games.

Really??? Did you happen to miss Hansen's goal???

If you had caught it you would have seen him tomahawk Krejci in the back of the leg while Krejci had his back to him (yet another absolute ***** move by a team full of them). Krejci went to the ice leaving Hansen uncovered going to the net... goal.

Watch the replay and then talk to me about who's a coward. Krejci even went to the Canucks bench right after the call and called him out. Shockingly Hansen sat nice and comfy on the bench so he didn't get his a$$ handed to him.

Just been an announced that Horton is out for the rest of the series with a severe concussion.

_

Rome out. Suspended for the series.

yup... four games. Wow, I'm surprised. Not because I don't think he deserved it but after not even giving Burrows a slap on the wrist over something other players have gotten two games for... I wasn't feeling really confident that the league was going to come down hard on Rome.

Gotta keep laying the physical game on the Canucks going forward. Being down that defenseman has the potential of being huge.

As awesome a post-seasons Horton was having, I think the Canucks losing Rome for the series might be a bigger loss.

Rome definatly will be a big loss. Not sure who Coach V will put in, Sauve or Ballard. Rome was not the top D man, but it will hurt the second pairing for sure.
Surprised he got that big of a suspension, especially in the finals. A game, maybe two, but the series is a bit over reacting. I think a lot of it had to do with how out of control the game got last night. Refs could have taken control much earlier than they did to take back the game, but by the time they started tossing guys, it was already too late.

I've intentionally avoided posting in this thread...

But after watching last night's game (first game I watch since Habs were eliminated), I have to say that was the vilest and most violence "hockey game" I've seen in a long time.

The Hanson's could actually have learned pointers from last night's game.

Dirty fawkers.

M_C

I've intentionally avoided posting in this thread...

But after watching last night's game (first game I watch since Habs were eliminated), I have to say that was the vilest and most violence "hockey game" I've seen in a long time.

The Hanson's could actually have learned pointers from last night's game.

Dirty fawkers.

M_C

Who exactly are you referring too? Both teams?

I'm guessing Thorton would be. Why take him out?? With Horton out, they'll probably pull up Saguin and with the open spot now, there's no reason to sit Thorton. (at least I don't think there is).

I said it two days ago... "play physical against this team"... and what happens?? WHAT HAPPENS?!?!

8-1 is what happens!!

Now... not sure I am a big fan of the 400 penalty minutes and while I'm not sure I would call it the "vilest and most violence" game evah... I think the B's can play a helluva physical game without ended up in the box or picking fights left and right.

We'll see.

No matter what I'll have a beer.... which is good.

Seems like Vancouver should have concentrated more on getting the puck in the net than trying to injure Bruins players.

The last 3 or 4 goals of that match were just atrocious...no reason why a rookie should be able to snipe the net from 20ft out with 2-3 Canucks blocking the net. And this is coming from a Bruins fan...lmao.

Where have you played high level hockey? When I think high level in Canada I think juniors...I ask because I grew up playing hockey in Buffalo.

Actually did play juniors, at the time it was junior b, which was the second or third tier behind the whl, junior a, then junior b. I am not going to say that I was in the dub, but did get scouted for it. Darn girls got in the way, and I didn't have the cash or the drive to go for it. Looking back now, I wish I had.

Lurker, noticed you're from Winnipeg. Congratulations on the Jets!
Hope you got some of those season tickets!

Can't wait to destroy you guys in the regular season! Anderson with the shut out, Spezza a 5 point night, Alfredsson a hat trick, Neil with the Gordie Howe, and a 9-0 final score!!! Go Sens!

Who exactly are you referring too? Both teams?

Indeed both teams. It was just a lame UFC fight with a hockey puck and sticks.

Sorry guys, this hockey I saw last night just isn't the hockey my hero's played when I was a kid in the 70's.

You can call me old. I don't care.

Old time hockey. Eddie Shore, Toe Blake, those guys you know. Maurice Richard. Guy Lafleur. etc.

M_C

Sorry guys, this hockey I saw last night just isn't the hockey my hero's played when I was a kid in the 70's.

Old time hockey. Eddie Shore, Toe Blake, those guys you know. Maurice Richard. Guy Lafleur. etc.

M_C

Eddie Shore? The guy who suckered Ace Bailey and ended his career?

I think you're looking back at old time hockey, and either looking through rose coloured glasses, or intentionally misrepresenting what it was like back then.

The only difference in the game now is the instigator penalty stops players from policing themselves, which would prevent all the biting and head hunting. If a guy like Rome had his ass kicked for his hit on Horton, it would smarten him up a hell of a lot better than a penalty (or suspension) ever will.

Check this out, found it really insightful when people start going on about how old time hockey was so much cleaner than the 'goons' who play today:

1905 - Allan Loney is charged with manslaughter in the on-ice clubbing death of Alcide Laurin. Loney claimed self-defence, and was found not guilty.[4]
1907 - Ottawa Senators players Harry Smith, Alf Smith and Charles Spittal were charged with assault after beating Montreal Wanderers players, Hod Stuart, Ernie "Moose" Johnson and Cecil Blatchford with their sticks.
1907 - Ottawa Victorias player Charles Masson is charged with manslaughter after Cornwall player Owen McCourt dies of a head wound sustained in a brawl. Masson is found not guilty on the grounds that there was no way to know which blow had killed McCourt.[5]
1922 - Sprague Cleghorn injured three Ottawa Senators players in a brawl, leading Ottawa police to offer to arrest him.
1969 - In a pre-season game held in Ottawa, Ted Green of the Boston Bruins and Wayne Maki of the St.Louis Blues engaged in a violent, stick-swinging brawl. A fractured skull and brain damage caused Green to miss the entire 1969–1970 NHL season.[6] The NHL suspended Maki for 30 days and Green for 13 games. Both men were acquitted in court.
1975 - Dan Maloney of the Detroit Red Wings was charged with assault causing bodily harm after he attacked Brian Glennie of the Toronto Maple Leafs from behind. In exchange for a no-contest plea, Maloney did community service work and was banned from playing in Toronto for two seasons.
1975 - Police charged Bruins player Dave Forbes with aggravated assault after a fight with Henry Boucha of the Minnesota North Stars. After a nine-day trial ended with a hung jury, charges against Forbes were dropped.
1976 - Philadelphia Flyers players Joe Watson, Mel Bridgman, Don Saleski and Bob "Hound" Kelly were charged with assault after using their hockey sticks as weapons in a violent playoff game between the Flyers and the Toronto Maple Leafs in which fans had been taunting the Flyers players and spitting at them. Bridgman was acquitted, but the other three Flyers were found guilty of simple assault.
1976 - Calgary Cowboys forward Rick Jodzio plead guilty to a charge of assault following a cross-check to the head of Quebec Nordiques player Marc Tardif during the World Hockey Association playoffs. The hit led to a 20-minute bench clearing brawl.[7]
1977 - Dave "Tiger" Williams of the Toronto Maple Leafs hit Pittsburgh Penguin Dennis Owchar with his stick. He was charged with assault, but acquitted.
1982 - Jimmy Mann of the Winnipeg Jets left the bench and sucker-punched Pittsburgh Penguin Paul Gardner, breaking Gardner's jaw in two places. Mann was fined $500 and given a suspended sentence in Winnipeg.

Anybody who's watched the recent playoffs and remembers playoffs in the 70's will vouch for this: the hits were much lighter and much more fair back then.

Keep in mind none (or almost) of the players wore helmets and yet the number of concussions was much lower than today with helmets.

Are you supporting the ridiculous amount of violence in today's hockey? I sure don't.

M_C

I think you're looking back at old time hockey, and either looking through rose coloured glasses, or intentionally misrepresenting what it was like back then.

The only difference in the game now is the instigator penalty stops players from policing themselves, which would prevent all the biting and head hunting. If a guy like Rome had his ass kicked for his hit on Horton, it would smarten him up a hell of a lot better than a penalty (or suspension) ever will.

Check this out, found it really insightful when people start going on about how old time hockey was so much cleaner than the 'goons' who play today:

M_C

Hey now, no need to drag UFC's good name into the mud.

Anybody who's watched the recent playoffs and remembers playoffs in the 70's will vouch for this: the hits were much lighter and much more fair back then.

Keep in mind none (or almost) of the players wore helmets and yet the number of concussions was much lower than today with helmets.

Are you supporting the ridiculous amount of violence in today's hockey? I sure don't.

M_C

Hits were the same, but the players are bigger and stronger now. And there pads are made of rock hard kevlar or whatever. I actually read that one of the equipment manufacturers is doing r&d, at the nhl's request, for lighter, softer pads, which wont cause concussions like the ones they have now do.

The hit that Rome threw on Horton, was almost textbook Scott Stevens, whom everyone praises. It was eerily similar the Stevens on Kariya, causing massive concussions. The only difference is people gushed about Stevens' hit and how Kariya should have kept his head up, yadda yadda yadda.

I love big hits like Rome's on Horton (yes, it was late...2 minute interference at most) but I hate how badly concussed Horton is. I think if they fix the shoulder pads so it doesn't cause so much damage, more sponge-like than steel-like, it would be awesome.

Yeah, I was expecting an interference call on the hit as well. Sure, the hit was a bit late, but 4 games? It's not like he was blindsided, he came directly from up-ice. The concussion sucks but it seems they're penalizing Rome based on that alone, and not the actual facts of the hit itself.

Hits were the same, but the players are bigger and stronger now. And there pads are made of rock hard kevlar or whatever. I actually read that one of the equipment manufacturers is doing r&d, at the nhl's request, for lighter, softer pads, which wont cause concussions like the ones they have now do.

The hit that Rome threw on Horton, was almost textbook Scott Stevens, whom everyone praises. It was eerily similar the Stevens on Kariya, causing massive concussions. The only difference is people gushed about Stevens' hit and how Kariya should have kept his head up, yadda yadda yadda.

I love big hits like Rome's on Horton (yes, it was late...2 minute interference at most) but I hate how badly concussed Horton is. I think if they fix the shoulder pads so it doesn't cause so much damage, more sponge-like than steel-like, it would be awesome.

I watched a LOT of Scott Stevens, as a Devils fan, but I cannot recall one single hit that was anywhere near as late as this cheap-shot on Horton. In fact, I seem to recall that in the vast majority of cases, Stevens hit the player when they still had the puck.

Comparing this to Stevens's hits is like comparing apples and fire trucks.

I agree with the problem being the equipment/player size and not game style. I don't buy the argument that the game is "rougher", especially when you watch all those highlights of brawls back in the day. Human bodies are actually very flexible and squishy. But when you add a 2 inch layer of solid plastic...that's what changes things (not to mention that it makes the hitter fearless). Laying someone out at full speed in center ice hurts when you're wearing fabric as pads.

Put the center line back into play and there will be less time for players to line up a stong hit. That should also prevent some injuries. Also I agree on the players being larger/stronger and the equipment difference.

My problem with Romes hit is that for 1 it was late. Horton was a full 3 strides in after he passed the puck. I viewed the hit as Rome was not taking the body and he was launching himself upwards. If he had bent his knees and lowered his shoulder into hortons chest he would have gotten 2 min and horton would be playing next shift.

One big factor is simply the small size of NHL rinks. That kind of speed, with so little space, is bound to result in a physical game. You see a totally different kind of play when the same players play on a international-sized rink. Of course, implementing a size change would be so expensive it's pretty much impossible.

Softer equipment will only help the individual wearing it...it will do nothing for the player getting hit. A 20-mph shoulder to the face is a 20-mph shoulder to the face regardless of the "softness" of the other player's pads.

Lurker, noticed you're from Winnipeg. Congratulations on the Jets!
Hope you got some of those season tickets!

Can't wait to destroy you guys in the regular season! Anderson with the shut out, Spezza a 5 point night, Alfredsson a hat trick, Neil with the Gordie Howe, and a 9-0 final score!!! Go Sens!

Not a chance to get the tickets, sold out the arena in 2 minutes. Almost 10,000 seats sold it that time, and another 8000 on waiting lists, think Winnipeg is hungry for hockey?

As for the desroying part, it might happen, only because you are for the other Ontario team. Can't wait til the Laughs get here to be thumped soundly.

M_C

heard that, oh im gonna push my hand in your face, or i'll fall when you look at me.. The players are still tougher then most sports, but it look like soccer players trying to draw a card.:rockin:

Marty McSorley enough said

This hockey isn't streo type slap shot the movie hockey. And I think the old time hockey, StittsvilleJames is referencing was equipmentless injuries plus dirty ruthless players trying to stay in the league performing the jobs they were paid to protect the stars. (hm John Wensink/ Mc Sorley anyone) .

I don't miss the fighting and would agree with Stittsville, if the player had to back up what he was selling the BS would stop. I too want to see the chickensh%t stop. Give some more unsportsman penalties and or let one on one fights happen. The refs change too how they call penlaties in the regular season but swallow the whitles in the playoffs so the game gets chipper.

Now for all you bruin fans..... get well Horton
Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!Go Bruins!

Latest posts

Back