Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But this isn't' a hit facing the boards or a blind side across blue line hit. Voracek essentially gave himself a hospital pass. When the puck is behind you and there is a defenseman in front of you, you don't put your head down and try to pull the puck forward. You stop and put it on your forehand. I'm sorry, but this is self inflicted. The violence of the hit can't be what determines if it is legal or not. Otherwise you'll have checking turn into rubbing guys into the boards. Open ice hits are by definition violent.

I just can't justify this as a suspension worthy hit. Why does Kronwall have to let up? Why can't Voracek let up?

I didn't say it was suspension worthy. Just that I was surprised there was no call on the play based on how quick the whistle blows (when it's not a Flyer hit) any time a hit involves the head.

Obviously you don't get suspended for being boarded when you're the guy who turns last minute making yourself vulnerable. Same thing here. You can see in the replay that he did look up as soon as he got the puck on his stick. What makes Kronwall's hit even more malicious was he was stepping up for the hit before Voracek even had the puck on his stick. As soon as he got the puck on his stick, his head comes up.

Why does Kronwall have to let up? Because the intent should be to disrupt the play, not hurt someone and you know you're going to hurt someone when you hit him like a freight train and the head is the first point of contact.

I love open ice hits, and I actually didn't care for the rule about the "blindside" open ice hit as you need to have your head on a swivel. I'm all about not targeting the head, but shoulder to shoulder should be good at any point/position on the ice. Hitting is part of the game, but trying to kill each other is what has shortened careers. Look at the hits Kasparaitis and Stevens put on people (they definitely contributed to the shortening/ending of Lindross's career).

And dancing like marys....

Missed tonights game, heard Duubs Gotz a Whoopin and left the game with a hand injury? Then the Devils scored a couple lucky goals and won. Oh well, at least they didnt beat us every game this season..........

If there is one thing I hate more than anything else in the NHL to be honest its the vs/NBC announcers :mad: They're terrible

nucks are screwed if they draw the stars in the playoffs they just can't get up on them this season.

Nucks should bomb the rest of the season so they don't have home ice, never seen a team play so well away from home and so mediocre at home.

Anyone who thinks that hit was anything other than sweet, is nuts. Just because hockey is turning into girls lacrosse doesn't mean someone can't be laid out by a good clean hit.

He was looking for quarters on the ice and got blasted, exactly what should have happened.

Anyone who thinks that hit was anything other than sweet, is nuts. Just because hockey is turning into girls lacrosse doesn't mean someone can't be laid out by a good clean hit.

He was looking for quarters on the ice and got blasted, exactly what should have happened.

100% agree.

This is the fork in the road for the League right now I think.

According to Shanaban's rules:
The principal point of contact was the head.
The player did not change his position immediately before contact.
It is up to Kronwall to attempt to avoid hitting Voracek in the head.

However - this was 100% Voracek's fault. There's a reason why we don't try to brush out a puck from the boards like that. It's something you learn very early in hockey by - get this - getting pasted. It's why I hate HATE playing left wing (I shoot right). Puck gets caught up in the snow along the boards and you get all screwed up trying to dig it out on the backhand. You have to instead make sure you keep both hands on your stick and are forced to pass it to a breaking forward. It's a recipe for failure.

Plus, I would expect NHL players to know when Kronwall is on the ice and is about to plaster someone with his shoulder.

schmoe said:
Sounds like the Red Wings from last year.

And this year's Flyers. Before they played like turds for the last few weeks they were the best road team in the league and pretty average at home.

wildwest450 said:

Yeah, that's fine, but no need to destroy a guy's face. You can't blame the player all the time the same way you don't blame the player facing the boards who gets hit from behind.

There has to be some level of mutual respect, at least amongst the players who are not dirtbags. There is a respect amongst the fighters in how they do business. In today's league with the headshot rules, there has to be a respect amongst the players not to destroy each other's skulls...or there should be suspensions.

I am fully aware Jake had his head down, but that's not a free pass to blast him in the face where the shoulder hitting the face is the first point of contact. Kronwall could have just as effectively stopped the play and kept the puck in the zone without trying to kill Jake.

That's my point. It's a lack of respect and a hit to the head. Yes, Jake's head was down. Hit Rinaldo that way, fine. He's a guy that everyone hates.

The other side of the coin is everyone who follows the NHL knows that if that was turned around, and it was a Flyer making that hit, it probably would have been a major and the refs definitely would not have circled the wagons I protect that guy the way they did last night.

It's not a conspiracy thing, it's just the way it is when you play in Philly, the rules are different for you and the penalties are harsher when you're the offender and they're softer when you're the victim of a hit.

paulster2626 said:
100% agree.

This is the fork in the road for the League right now I think.

According to Shanaban's rules:
The principal point of contact was the head.
The player did not change his position immediately before contact.
It is up to Kronwall to attempt to avoid hitting Voracek in the head.

However - this was 100% Voracek's fault. There's a reason why we don't try to brush out a puck from the boards like that. It's something you learn very early in hockey by - get this - getting pasted. It's why I hate HATE playing left wing (I shoot right). Puck gets caught up in the snow along the boards and you get all screwed up trying to dig it out on the backhand. You have to instead make sure you keep both hands on your stick and are forced to pass it to a breaking forward. It's a recipe for failure.

Plus, I would expect NHL players to know when Kronwall is on the ice and is about to plaster someone with his shoulder.

See above. That's the fastest way to learn to keep your head up, but you also play at a different level that in peewee or juniors where dudes do try to kill each other to get to the NHL. Knrowall is not a guy trying to keep his job like Steve Downie a few years ago when he hit Dean McAmmond (spelling, Ottawa player) and got 25 games for charging and a hit to the head. Very similar time frame when Jesse Boulerice had a short stint with the Flyers and got a 25 game suspension for cross checking Ryan Kessler in the face.

Yet when Corburn is boarded by Staal from Bettman's dream team, nothing more than a fine worth less than a weekend bar tab for these guys is handed out.

It's just the way it is for the Flyers. Whenever anyone gets crushed, it's a good solid hit. Any time there's a hit like that and the Flyers are the aggressor, it's dirty, and penalties are handed out, if not for the hit, for the scrum that ensues afterward.

Look at how Rinaldo gets a penalty for breathing on guys, same with Hartnell. It's the way it is.

...and here I thought the Philly Goggles might slip off for one fleeting moment. Nope.

The Philadelphia Flyers - the team that can do no wrong, ever!

Voracek put himself in a ridiculous position and got hammered for it, and rightfully so. There are consequences for playing like a retard and having your head down at the same time. Not sure how Kronwall was supposed to hit him differently - what would you have him do? Take out his knees?

Vorcek definitely put himself in a bad spot there and PAID for it ....

Kronwall definitely set a trap there though, Voracek peeked up saw Kronwall drifting back, went to poke the puck forward and as soon as his head went down Kronwall stepped up and buried him.

That's what Kronwall does, and you have to be aware when he's on the ice ....

Definitely hate seeing that happen to a guy wearing orange and black, but it was a helluva hit.

Supposedly, the NHL will not take any action against Kronwall. Even though it was brutal, I think that's the right call.

...and here I thought the Philly Goggles might slip off for one fleeting moment. Nope.

The Philadelphia Flyers - the team that can do no wrong, ever!

Voracek put himself in a ridiculous position and got hammered for it, and rightfully so. There are consequences for playing like a retard and having your head down at the same time. Not sure how Kronwall was supposed to hit him differently - what would you have him do? Take out his knees?

If you honestly think the Flyers don't get different treatment, you're out to lunch. I said Jake had his head down and got his clock cleaned, not arguing that at all.

arturo7 said:
Blues rising

Hawks fading

Amazing team this year. Could be our best ever. If we can stay healthy and get steen back, we gotta be one of the favorites for the cup.

These last 2 games against SJ and CHI have looked like a NHL vs AHL game. Kind of embarrassing for those teams. Clearly the class of the west is St. Louis, Vancouver, and Detroit (maybe). Should be interesting.

Amazing team this year. Could be our best ever. If we can stay healthy and get steen back, we gotta be one of the favorites for the cup.

These last 2 games against SJ and CHI have looked like a NHL vs AHL game. Kind of embarrassing for those teams. Clearly the class of the west is St. Louis, Vancouver, and Detroit (maybe). Should be interesting.

I love seeing St Louis winning games. It's great to see the franchise being relevant again.

Also love that the Flyers handing Detroit that loss last night kept them in 4th rather than 1st in the West.

Homercidal said:
As much as I respected Avery's skills on the ice, he was quite a ******. And I don't mean that in the nice way.

If he wasn't such a jackvss, he might have been a decent player. But, maybe with his small stature being a jackass is the only way he made it to the bigs.

Too bad the guy got so full of himself. He did a pretty good job of being the team rat, getting under players skin. Unfortunatly he got under his own teams skin just as much. Type of guy you hate to play against, but really don't want to play with.

Got my glass of Exit 4 American Trippel (Flying Fish) poured, and ready to watch the Rangers kick the SNOT out of the Sens!!

Let's GO RANgERS!!!!!!!!!

Woooooooooo!! That's 1 baby, get some!!!!!!

Cheering for the Flyers, eh?

How does a forward drive the net, crush the goaltender, then drop the gloves with a defenseman who is upset about the goalie getting run over, and get a power play for his team all within 30 seconds?

Carle gets a double minor for roughing, Skille gets a single minor for roughing (no penalty on the goaltender interference/crushing) and the Panthers got a power play. Definitely worthy of the "ass-hole" chant from the fans for the zebras.

Flyers scoring some beauties and some dirties...3-0 over Florida, the last one on a sweet play by Hartnell to intercept a pass at the blue line and just turned on the jets to make his own breakaway and scored on a wicked shot.

Flyers are looking very dangerous lately. They're going to win their 4th straight. Getting the goaltending from Bryz they signed him to provide over the last four games and the offense is cranking them out on their chances. Bryz has given up 5 goals over the last 4 games with a pair of shutouts, .960 SV%. PK has been perfect for the last five games (one of them the Flyers managed to not take a single penalty). PP is 3 for 8 over the last 4 games. Everything the Flyers had been killed on over their streak over mediocrity is what their excelling at right now - goaltending and special teams.

I know the 4 games have all been fairly weak teams (Islanders, Caps, and Panthers), but they're getting the job done and beat Detroit. Set the tone for a possible first round matchup in the playoffs.

In other news, Go Sens Go!

Blues win again. Top of the NHL all alone now. Looking unstoppable right now. Up next, a home and home with Columbus. Hope they don't have a mental let down again.

Blues win again. Top of the NHL all alone now. Looking unstoppable right now. Up next, a home and home with Columbus. Hope they don't have a mental let down again.

It's always nice to surge just before playoff time. They look good, but the playoffs are a different story. We see you're good at announcing wins, but stick around for big boy hockey.

Detroit will get healthy, if not now, we'll see you in the conference finals...

I do like St. Louis(the town you fool), Asheville just beat you out for my yearly motorcycle trip. I'm gonna miss Schlafly's maibock this spring.

Pens make it 8 wins in a row (with Friday nights win over Florida). We shall see after tomorrows game against Boston as they (the Pens) always seem to have problems when they are playing on NBC. Regardless, they are on a roll, and the Rangers are faltering.

Latest posts

Back