Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I missed the tits. I'm surprised Eager's goal counted. Even if the ref's thought Lou was embellishing (and even as a Canuck fan I'll admit he does that from time to time) they can still wave off the goal without calling a penalty. And when you're in the crease and initiate contact with the goalie, it's justified. But that's just nitpicking after tonight's win.

I know Clowe wasn't happy that Bieksa fought Marleau, but in the replay I saw Marleau dropped his gloves a split second BEFORE Juice dropped his. And even though he likes to play physical, Bieksa isn't a big guy so it's not like he was picking on Marleau.

Things are just heating up.

I think whoever wins in the east is going to have a tough time with the western conference champion. Either Vancouver is going to keep rolling or SJ is going to have to get crazy hot. Even though both Boston and Tampa have looked good at times, I just don't know if they have enough.

Quite a pounding last night. The Canucks are really starting to open it up now, play like they did all season. SJ looked really slow, totally outplayed. Again they get a softie, Lou gives up one a game in the playoffs, hopefully there will be not any games cost from this. Eager is a goof. Even his team seamed to hate what he was doing. That game broke SJ back, they may pull off a game at home, but this series is going to be done in 5,

Saturday at 1:30 for next Bolts and Bruins. The chowds played their game and Thomas was stellar. Even it up Tampa!!

Reports are mixed about the Thrashers coming up here, but I feel that it is almost a done deal, just waiting for the offical announcement, supposed to be on Tuesday. WOO HOO!!! And I would rather have the Thrashers over the Yotes anyway, younger team, more to look forward to.

As for the girl flashing Eager in the penalty box, SHE WAS NOT A MESS. Pretty good looker there, hopefully she will be back, rather have her than the green men.

Reports are mixed about the Thrashers coming up here, but I feel that it is almost a done deal, just waiting for the offical announcement, supposed to be on Tuesday. WOO HOO!!! And I would rather have the Thrashers over the Yotes anyway, younger team, more to look forward to.

As for the girl flashing Eager in the penalty box, SHE WAS NOT A MESS. Pretty good looker there, hopefully she will be back, rather have her than the green men.

I bet she won't be admitted to the arena anymore.. Shame, really.

Thomas the best keeper since cheavers. Go Boston.

Great another team in winnipeg. Another cow town train stop (hmm who am I paraphrasing, anyone).

Atlanta how many NHL teams has it lost now??? Winnipeg is proably a nice place but why not seattle, quebec, houston or ???

Thomas the best keeper since cheavers. Go Boston.

Great another team in winnipeg. Another cow town train stop (hmm who am I paraphrasing, anyone).

Atlanta how many NHL teams has it lost now??? Winnipeg is proably a nice place but why not seattle, quebec, houston or ???

The NHL needs to get out of the south. Houston would be a terrible place to put a team. There would be little intreats there for another pro sport, and the number of followers would be very low, just like Pheonix.
Seattle also has the other pro sports to compete with, and the NHL would probably be the last on the list for most.
Quebec would be the second choice, as they do not have the infrastructure in place right now, and to throw another 150 million on to of the 170 million it takes to move the team would limit the number of owners who could do this.
Winnipeg has the infrastructure in place already, and it can be enlarged for a very reasonable cost. The group making the offer instantly puts the team in the top money teams in the league, Thompson is the wealthiest person in canada, the corporate support is there, Winnipeg has the money to support the team with an established fan base, and the structure of the league today makes it much more reasonable to have a team in Winnipeg. Right now there are very, very few places in North America in a better position to take on a team then Winnipeg.

The NHL needs to get out of the south. Houston would be a terrible place to put a team. There would be little intreats there for another pro sport, and the number of followers would be very low, just like Pheonix.
Seattle also has the other pro sports to compete with, and the NHL would probably be the last on the list for most.
Quebec would be the second choice, as they do not have the infrastructure in place right now, and to throw another 150 million on to of the 170 million it takes to move the team would limit the number of owners who could do this.
Winnipeg has the infrastructure in place already, and it can be enlarged for a very reasonable cost. The group making the offer instantly puts the team in the top money teams in the league, Thompson is the wealthiest person in canada, the corporate support is there, Winnipeg has the money to support the team with an established fan base, and the structure of the league today makes it much more reasonable to have a team in Winnipeg. Right now there are very, very few places in North America in a better position to take on a team then Winnipeg.

Get hockey out of the south? Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Dallas??

Are you considering Carolina a successful team? Yes they do have a fairly good record, but they are in the bottom of the league in attendance, and after phoenix, is probably going to be the next team looking for a new location.

Are you considering Carolina a successful team? Yes they do have a fairly good record, but they are in the bottom of the league in attendance, and after phoenix, is probably going to be the next team looking for a new location.

I'm saying those teams don't all need to be moved. Do the ducks and avalanche need to be moved because of low attendance? Carolina, Tampa, and Nashville are all around 90%.

Perhaps you are too young to remember the Atlanta Flames.

You're right, I was not around, however the 1 team I am referring to is the Flames. Thrashers have not officially been sold.

I am not saying that they all need to be moved, and there are some successful teams in the southern us, but as far as attendance goes, that is what pays the bills. Also, oownership is a very important aspect to every team, no matter where you are. Some of these owners seem to have treated this as their own little games, and one that they are not ahead in the game, they are bailing out.
What I was referring to in the southern us comment, is if the cities dont want them there, why is there such an effort made to keep them.
Out of the teams you mentioned, The HUrricanes are the highest attended team, and that puts them in 20 th place in the league, and only the predators are selling out more than 90% of their game. Ny ISlanders are also a team that needs to be looked at for a shake up, 75% attendance is an embarrassment in today's league.

I don't think it is a bad thing for the nhl to try and get into non-traditional markets though. Not every "hockey town" can have a team. Hell, most of the north and north-east of the US and all of Canada fits this description. But not everyone can have a team. These expansion teams are still young, and maybe not all of them will pan out, but I don't think it was a mistake to try. If you've ever been to a Preds game, they have some of the most passionate fans.

I agree that attendance is very important, but attendance is driven by performance. I think the nhl needs to be more involved in helping to find legitimate owners, not just rich guys who think its fun.

100% agree that ownership needs to be looked at more closely when things are done, and I am not totally against having teams in non traditional markets, but Gary Bettmans experiment can be considered as much of an ego trip as some of the owners. He flat out refuses to admit that hockey does not work in certain cities, phoenix, Columbus, etc. I don't have a problem with Seattle or Vegas having a team, as long as there are dedicated ownership, and a very strong fan base even in the thin years.
And this experiment is not new, teams like phoenix have been in the League 15 years now, there has to be a time that some plugs are pulled on a bad idea.

Greed is what hurts the NHL everytime. Let's merge one or two teams. It would make a better product then five years Winnipeg or where ever. But the network and the NHL wants to stress out the golden goose.

I'm saying those teams don't all need to be moved. Do the ducks and avalanche need to be moved because of low attendance? Carolina, Tampa, and Nashville are all around 90%.

Ya the Bolts are about all we have. There are very few Rays fans here in Tampa and we're (were?) a damn good team. (Our manager is freaking awesome!) Everyone here is pissed at the owners of the Bucs for trading all our good players every time we start doing better. The Lightning have a solid fanbase though. I still find this odd since we're, well, Florida...

100% agree that ownership needs to be looked at more closely when things are done, and I am not totally against having teams in non traditional markets, but Gary Bettmans experiment can be considered as much of an ego trip as some of the owners. He flat out refuses to admit that hockey does not work in certain cities, phoenix, Columbus, etc. I don't have a problem with Seattle or Vegas having a team, as long as there are dedicated ownership, and a very strong fan base even in the thin years.
And this experiment is not new, teams like phoenix have been in the League 15 years now, there has to be a time that some plugs are pulled on a bad idea.

I can definitely agree with that. I've got some issues with Mr. Bettman.

Ya the Bolts are about all we have. There are very few Rays fans here in Tampa and we're (were?) a damn good team.

:off:
There are plenty of Rays fans. Our radio and TV numbers are excellent. Last year we were 7th (from the top) in both radio and tv viewership. Passedpawn almost never misses a game (I do attend 10 - 15 every season, too - going to Cleveland game end of this week).

The Rays draw at least 10,000 fans to the stadium for every game. That is a lot of people who would disagree with you.

OK, back to hockey. Sorry for that, but I get tired of hearing that there are no Rays fans. Stop repeating what the other team's haters are saying.

:off:
There are plenty of Rays fans. Our radio and TV numbers are excellent. Last year we were 7th (from the top) in both radio and tv viewership. Passedpawn almost never misses a game (I do attend 10 - 15 every season, too - going to Cleveland game end of this week).

The Rays draw at least 10,000 fans to the stadium for every game. That is a lot of people who would disagree with you.

OK, back to hockey. Sorry for that, but I get tired of hearing that there are no Rays fans. Stop repeating what the other team's haters are saying.

I love the Rays. I go to the games all the time as well. I guess the attendance percentages just make it look bad. Again, back to HOCKEY! BTW: This hockey stuff is hard to follow on the radio. I really wish I was at a bar watching it with all my friends instead of sitting at work.

I love the Rays. I go to the games all the time as well. I guess the attendance percentages just make it look bad. Again, back to HOCKEY! BTW: This hockey stuff is hard to follow on the radio. I really wish I was at a bar watching it with all my friends instead of sitting at work.

You probably wouldn't want to watch this game. 3-0 and with a:ban: shorthanded goal...

Latest posts

Back