Entering Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
Received my water report from Ward Labs and I'm entering it in Brunwater but I've confused the heck out of myself on two sets of numbers.
For example my report shows;
Calcium, Ca 50.3
Magnesium, Mg 16
Bicarbonate,HCO3 236
Carbonate, CO3 <1.0
These numbers I can enter in the top "Water Report Input" but further down the Brunwater sheet it asks for "Ion Concentration Conversion" of CaCO3.
Both my Total Hardness and Total Alkalinity are expressed by Ward as CaCO3
My Total Hardness is 192 (CaCO3)
My Total Alkalinity is 194 (CaCO3)
If I enter 192 for example in Calcium (ppm as CaCO2) then it shows my Calcium is 77 in the output.
So my question is do I use these numbers from the output in the "Ion Concentration" section in the "Water Report Input" or the numbers on my Ward report?

Calcium is not the same as hardness. If you have an input that just says "calcium," enter the calcium ppm from your Ward report.

Total Hardness is a combination of calcium and magnesium content. You can’t use that Total Hardness to estimate calcium content.

The conversion tools at the bottom of the Water Report Input sheet can be useful when you don’t have actual concentrations. With a Ward Lab report, you have actual concentrations. Use them!

Super. Thank you for the input guys. I'll use just the top section as I do have the numbers.
This is my well water I'm using, does it look decent for brewing?
Sodium 3
Potassium 1
Calcium 50.3
Magnesium 16
Nitrate 0.3 (NO3-N) (so x 4.43= 1.329)
Sulfate 6 (SO4-S) (so x 3=18)
Chloride 2
Carbonate <1.0
Bicarbonate 236
Total Hardness 194
Total Alkalinity 194
I have had some off tastes brewing IPA's and Wheat beers but that was with no salts as I obviously had no baseline. Stout's were good. I am hoping I can have better success with the lighters now.

Back