English IPA hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
Thinking of making the E IPA from Jamil's show and had a question. It calls for 1.43 oz of Challenger. I've never used challenger before so i don't know what to expect from it really. I'm curious if i could sub some Galena for it, instead, since i have a 1lb of it already.

Just seeing if i can use my reserves before buying new hops. I looked at BYO's hop resource and the two weren't cross listed, but i wasn't sure if it would be okay since this is the 60 min addition and is more for bittering than flavor.

thanks.

This is the beer alchemy report i copied off the podcast last night. Mash is at 152° for an hour.

OG 1.062
IBUs ~50
color ~11 SRM
UK Pale Ale Malt 12lb 4oz 86.7 % 6.1 In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 8.00 oz 3.5 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Biscuit Malt 8.00 oz 3.5 % 1.8 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 8.00 oz 3.5 % 3.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 120L Malt 6.00 oz 2.7 % 7.5 In Mash/Steeped

UK Challenger 8.0 % 1.43 oz 43.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
UK Fuggle 5.0 % 1.50 oz 6.2 Bagged Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
UK Golding 5.0 % 1.50 oz 0.0 Bagged Pellet Hops At turn off

nottinghamg

I think you want to keep the challenger. They have a distinct flavor, even at the bittering addition. I love challenger hops, they are pretty polarizing for most people. They remind me of new mown green hay. I think that hop mix is great and is close to my Best Bitter mix.

That being said the Galena would work but may end up a little different but i'd still drink it with you!

well, honestly, i've never had and English IPA. I've had IPAs that i like, and i'm a big fan of the english pales, so i thought i'd try an E IPA. I've seen recipes out there, but have no idea if any would be good or not.

Would it still be a good beer with the galena? I mean it may not be what the original recipe would be, but since i've never had it, i don't think it'd hurt to modify it. I just don't want to royally screw it up (at least until i actually brew it).

I say go with galena. I've experimented with challenger and used it in a SMaSH beer, and found it to be a harsh bitterness with asparagus overtones. The beer will still be great with galena and maybe better than if you had used challenger.

I say go with galena. I've experimented with challenger and used it in a SMaSH beer, and found it to be a harsh bitterness with asparagus overtones. The beer will still be great with galena and maybe better than if you had used challenger.

On the harsh bitterness/asparagus thing, there was a Basic Brewing interview with some hops expert who said that people should be leaving out their hops at room temp for as many as 24 hours before brewing with it because the higher temps kill the proteins or whatever that cause that harsh bitterness. Since listening to that interview, I have been pulling my hops out at the start of my brewday, but haven't got any of my test batches ready just yet.

On the harsh bitterness/asparagus thing, there was a Basic Brewing interview with some hops expert who said that people should be leaving out their hops at room temp for as many as 24 hours before brewing with it because the higher temps kill the proteins or whatever that cause that harsh bitterness. Since listening to that interview, I have been pulling my hops out at the start of my brewday, but haven't got any of my test batches ready just yet.

interesting. I'll have to give that a shot. I've been getting some harsh bitterness on my beers and am always pulling the hops out of the freezer and right into the pot.

Latest posts

Back