ended up getting 2.5 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybmx10

Reaction score
i just got myself a 3 gal keg and have a 22 oz co2 tank! i was wondering if i will be able to force carb and use the same tank to serve and if so how long and how much psi should i carb it at without putting it in the fridge? also how much ps1 should i serve my beer at?

Force carbing depends on temperature and desired level of carbonation to determine carbonation. There's plenty force carb calculators on the web like http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html that are very easy to use and you'll get a feel for how temp greatly affects things.

example: If i carb for 2.6 vol of co2 at 65F and id need 27.4 psi. But the same beer at 35F only needs 10.7 psi to achieve the same carbonation.

Im not sure a 22 oz tank will provide enough co2/psi to do the job since i dont know what you picked up (im assuming one of the paintball co2 tanks?), the label might say or it might be stamped on. If it does the job its just playing with a regulator to get your psi right for carbonation. Now you can leave the co2 on and hooked to the keg for a few days and it'll carbonate. Or you can fill until it stops and unhook it, the co2 will dissolve into the beer after a few days and you'll need to repeat filling to get it up to the right co2 level. I usually just leave mine attached unless im out of space in the fridge i find it just to be easier. To serve lower psi to 3-5ish, enough to push it out without tons of foam and enjoy your beer.
And if happens that your co2 tank cant get it done you can pick up 5,10 or 20lb tanks relatively cheap or your local beer distributor may have them to rent. Craigslist is a great place to find brewing stuff and you can get great deals if your willing to look and wait for them. I usually post on CL wanted section for about half my state and ill get a few bites.

Congrats on the keg! Its so much nicer than bottle conditioning.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd heard people using them to serve but since i have 20 lb tank id never put a thought towards them and was unsure of what they could do.

Back