End of Sparge had high gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high5apparatus

Reaction score
I was making an all-Amarillo IPA on Saturday and the wort coming out of the mash tun was still at 1.020 at the end of the sparge (measured with refractometer), even though I had drawn off all the volume I needed. Usually I'm in the low teens on the gravity coming out of my mash tun towards the end, so I was wondering if there was something I should have/could have done to take advantage of the fairly high gravity still coming out of the mash tun, like keep drawing off wort and boil it off, or make a small beer?

This is an all-grain IPA, mash efficiency of 76%. I still hit all my numbers. Recipe below.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1386884

p.s. I've already had a neighbor/brewer call me a Sugar Waster, so I have been sufficiently shamed.

i double sparge and for 2nd sparge water addition i add 1-2gal extra water (bigger beer more extra water), drain to the BK till correct volume and collect the rest in the regular pot, i throw it on the stove burner and boil till it hits 1.040 og (its boiling in the kitchen when im boiling my beer). When im done with all the cleaning ect its cool enough to transfer to pet bottles (2l and 0.7L sizes) freeze next dat and voila i have starter for next brewing session

high5apparatus said:
I was making an all-Amarillo IPA on Saturday and the wort coming out of the mash tun was still at 1.020 at the end of the sparge (measured with refractometer), even though I had drawn off all the volume I needed. Usually I'm in the low teens on the gravity coming out of my mash tun towards the end, so I was wondering if there was something I should have/could have done to take advantage of the fairly high gravity still coming out of the mash tun, like keep drawing off wort and boil it off, or make a small beer?

This is an all-grain IPA, mash efficiency of 76%. I still hit all my numbers. Recipe below.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1386884

p.s. I've already had a neighbor/brewer call me a Sugar Waster, so I have been sufficiently shamed.

Assuming you fly sparge, 1.020 is not that bad. You may have seen it drop quickly in the next half gallon as the line between sugar and pure water is pretty close in a good mlt design. If you got the efficiency you wanted, don't give sheet about what your miser neighbor says.

I found a use for my end of sparge gravity: I was reusing washed yeast in this batch, so I drew off a saucepan worth of wort at the end (still around 1.015) and added some corn sugar to it to bump it up to 1.035 by the end of boiling it down. After I pitched my washed yeast, I added the cooled sterilized wort back to the growler with what was left of my yeast so it would make more yeast for next time. I'll be doing this again this week with my British Ale yeast that is coming out of an Amarillo IPA and put that yeast into my English style IPA.

Back