Empire Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great choice. An APA at the strong ABV. end of the style is perfect for 1st BIAB since it will be good even if you're +/-6 SG points. I won't speak to the hop selection, since I'm still a rookie myself. I do like the schedule, though. I did yoopers pale ale, a popular one here, and used WLP001 from white labs, and it's my best beer yet. Even did without a starter, though if I did it again, would probably draw of 500 ml of wort into a flask after lautering,boil, , cool down, and do a 3 hour vitality starter. That would be my only change, the yeast, but I've also never tried that Safale. Do some searches for it on here before locking it in.

Looks good. I think the Galaxy will probably out shine the Mo' at a one to one rate but that should be a pretty interesting combo. I think Motueka is a more interesting noble derivative. I have got some nice lime character from it and that may be the only citrus I haven't found in Galaxy. I would probably do a 60/40, weighted towards the Mo' but you should be happy with the results either way. Cheers, report back.

For an APA, doing something other than a single malt can add some complexity and interest. I like 76% pale, 20% Munich, and 4% crystal 20, 40 or 60Lm, depending on what I'm looking for. For an IPA, I'll often forgo any crystal/caramel and just go with pale, Munich and a little wheat.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll adjust the hop additions to slightly favor the motueka and remain 100% MO. I've obviously never used MO before and am excited to see what everyone raves about.

Back