Element Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I've had my control panels (a 240V PID controlled box, and a 120V stilldragon kit) built for a while now, but have been wavering back and forth on which element I was going to put in my kettle. Basically had the option of either running a 50+ foot extension cord to my dryer outlet to run 240V, or just using the 120V outlet right by my setup.

SO, SWMBO OK'd me to put a 12x12 brew shed in the backyard, which I am going to get started on as soon as the hot FL summer is over, and I'm going to go ahead and spring for 30a service in the shed to house my 240V system.

IN THE MEANTIME, I'm going to move ahead with the 120V system to get started.

SO, my question is, what's the highest wattage element I can reasonably use for 120V? I do BIAB, and have the bajou classic pot with the basket insert, so my bag sits about 2" above the element behind a perferated basket.

With this little bit of wiggle room, would scorching the bag/grain still be a problem with a HWD element? Unless I can't find it, it looks like ULWD elements go up to about 1500 watts, there are LWD elements up to 2000 watts, and then the HWD elements start. Would a 3000 watt HWD element be a bad idea in my configuration?

What's the highest wattage I can reasonably get away with in my configuration? I'm leaning towards a 2000 watt LWD, but sure would like to go with the 3000 watt HWD if I can (I will be running off a 30a circuit):

http://bostonheatingsupply.com/sp10868gl.aspx
http://bostonheatingsupply.com/sp10868gl.aspx

Thanks for any info!

Personally, I would go for a 5500w, 240v, ulwd element, particularly if you need to run a new line to your brew shed anyway.

I'm think you missed my question. It might be 6-8 months or more until my brew shed is complete, and I'm looking to use 120V in the interim, so I'm looking on opinions on 120V options, not 240V options.

Obviously there are better options all things considered, but 240V is not an option for me for a while. What's my best option considering my configuration for a 120V setup? I already have both a 240V and a 120V controller built. Even once my 240V system is all set up, I still want to have the 120V box for remote brew days, so I want to finish up the 120V system either way. When I do do batches on the 120V setup, I'm going to likely go for 3.5 gallon batches to make the strike/boil times reasonable.

Thanks for any input!

A 5500W 240V element will work fine on 120V except you'll only get 1375W from it. You can safely pull that from a standard 15A outlet as well.

I would get (2) 1500-2000 watt 120V elements. and run them in parallel for now for a total of 3-4000 watts, then when you move, just wire them in series. they will still get 120volts each.

I would get (2) 1500-2000 watt 120V elements. and run them in parallel for now for a total of 3-4000 watts, then when you move, just wire them in series. they will still get 120volts each.

Won't work. A single 1500W element is going to max out one circuit. Two would trip the breaker (unless they each came off different circuits).

[edit] oops, I see it's a 30A circuit (odd though). It would work, but I still wouldn't do it that way. If the circuit is truly 120V 30A, then I'd get a 3000W 120V element if available, which would draw 25A. Then swap it out for the 5500W 240V element later.

OK, I thought that I was communicating effectively, but I'll clarify:

I only have one circuit to plug into, so I'm only looking for a single 120V element. I don't have the option to run off of dual circuits.

I'm trying to maximize my 120V output, so getting 1375 W out of a 5500 watt element is not a very good option. A single 1375 W element is going to take wayyyyy to long to heat strike water and get to a boil. 1 hour 31 minutes to strike and 51 minutes to boil, to be exact. Not a good option when there are 2000-3000 watt alternatives.

SO, my actual question: Is a 3000 watt HWD element a viable option for me in my configuration? The grain will sit about 2" above the element with the perforated basket between the two, so the bag/grain will be exposed through the perforations. Will the bag/grain scorch?

Otherwise, the best option I found is the 2000 watt LWD, which I know will be safe. Does anyone know of any LWD elements over 2000 watts? I think that's the max.

I'd rather do this right than save a couple bucks, and am perfectly OK with switching the element out when I get to where 240V in an option, so right now all I need is help with maximizing my 120V configuration. I do have a practically empty 30a circuit available at both my house and the place I most often have remote brewdays, so the bigger, "thirstier" 120V elements are not a problem.

Thanks!

OK, I thought that I was communicating effectively, but I'll clarify:

I only have one circuit to plug into, so I'm only looking for a single 120V element. I don't have the option to run off of dual circuits.

I'm trying to maximize my 120V output, so getting 1375 W out of a 5500 watt element is not a very good option. A single 1375 W element is going to take wayyyyy to long to heat strike water and get to a boil. 1 hour 31 minutes to strike and 51 minutes to boil, to be exact. Not a good option when there are 2000-3000 watt alternatives.

SO, my actual question: Is a 3000 watt HWD element a viable option for me in my configuration? The grain will sit about 2" above the element with the perforated basket between the two, so the bag/grain will be exposed through the perforations. Will the bag/grain scorch?

Otherwise, the best option I found is the 2000 watt LWD, which I know will be safe. Does anyone know of any LWD elements over 2000 watts? I think that's the max.

I'd rather do this right than save a couple bucks, and am perfectly OK with switching the element out when I get to where 240V in an option, so right now all I need is help with maximizing my 120V configuration. I do have a practically empty 20a circuit available at both my house and the place I most often have remote brewdays, so the bigger, "thirstier" 120V elements are not a problem.

Thanks!

just to clarify, you dont need dual circuits to run more than one element. just wire them parallel on the same circuit.

if you are ok with changing the elements out, then get a 120v 3kw low density for now and a 240v 5500w for later.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 3K watt low density element. Once you get up that high, they are all HWD, which is sounds like is probably going to have scorching issues despite my gap between the element and my bag.

If you know of one, can you link? The highest wattage I found in a lower density is 2000 watts for a LWD element.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 3K watt low density element. Once you get up that high, they are all HWD, which is sounds like is probably going to have scorching issues despite my gap between the element and my bag.

If you know of one, can you link? The highest wattage I found in a lower density is 2000 watts for a LWD element.

No idea. I was just riffing on something you mentioned earlier.

Back