Electric System Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndrwtcm

Reaction score
My buddy and I have been brewing for a couple of years with a propane burner and we're both thinking about moving to an electric system. I've been trying to research a couple of systems and wondered what everyone's experience has been. We are debating 1 v 2 v 3 kettle systems (I like 1, he's more into 2) but the thing we're really set on is having 240V and the flexibility to brew 5 or 10 gal batches so we can brew together or separate. Does anyone have advice on a system with the sizing this flexible? I think right now we're debating High Gravity Brewing Wort Hog with a 20gal kettle or a Blichmann 2 kettle setup.

Thank you in advance for the help,

Look at the Spike+ systems. You can either get a full setup (3 kettle) with their control panel, or get the kettles and a panel from another maker (or make one yourself). I bought my MT first, then got the HLT and BK, which means I had to get the panel from someone else (Electric Brewing Supply). I got the Spike steam condenser lid with the BK and wouldn't go without that now.

My only issue with the Spike MT is getting channeling with their stated recirculation/sparge method. I'm working to resolve that issue on my own with different sparge arms (have the latest to test on the coming batch).

The Spike 15 gallon system lists batch sizes of 5-11 gallons. The 20 gallon system calls out 6-15 gallon batches. IMO/IME, it all depends on how much you're putting into fermenter. If you want 5 gallons out at the end, you'll want at least 6 at the end of the boil (or going into fermenter).

Back