Electric RIMS System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachzama

Reaction score
So I know you can go to The Electric Brewer and follow their plans to create the setup yourself, but I was trying to create a system I could just buy the parts and hook it all together. Since Blichmann has their new electric parts and their electric Tower of Power isn't out yet but Ive priced these parts out and its really not "over the top" expensive. Would this work or am I way off here?

Blichmann_Electic.jpg

Looks like it would work. I would add a 3 way valve or a hose you could move on your HLT pump so you could recirc strike water to prevent stratification. An alternative would be to pump from your HLT through your RIMS Rocket and back to the HLT. Then you can use 2 elements to heat strike water.

It looks like you've got wort going 2 directions after your Mash pump. Couldn't you simply redirect a hose going from the RIMS Rocket in the Mash to the Boil kettle? You were probably thinking that already.

So you're going to use 2 controllers only - one for the RIMS and one for the HLT/BK. Sounds reasonable unless you want to do back to back brews. You'd lose the ability to heat strike water once you've started the boil.

Looks like it would work. I would add a 3 way valve or a hose you could move on your HLT pump so you could recirc strike water to prevent stratification. An alternative would be to pump from your HLT through your RIMS Rocket and back to the HLT. Then you can use 2 elements to heat strike water.

It looks like you've got wort going 2 directions after your Mash pump. Couldn't you simply redirect a hose going from the RIMS Rocket in the Mash to the Boil kettle? You were probably thinking that already.

So you're going to use 2 controllers only - one for the RIMS and one for the HLT/BK. Sounds reasonable unless you want to do back to back brews. You'd lose the ability to heat strike water once you've started the boil.

Thanks stlbeer, all really great points. Ill definitely look into recirculating thru the RIMS Rocket to help speed up the strike water.

The reason I wasn't thinking re-using the tube after the RIMS Rocket to the Boil Kettle because I plan on having that end connected to the AutoSparge. Figured I didn't want to mess with disconnecting and reconnecting a tube. Figured a valve would be easier.

As for the two controllers, I figured that would be okay to start with and if I wanted to to back to back brews in the future I could just get another controller.

I guess with another set of eyes looking at this I guess Im okay to proceed and then just adjust as I go. I priced out all of this and minus the tubing and connections its only around $4000. Everyone keeps saying Blichmann is over priced but thats literally all Blichmann and cheaper than other setups and essentially "plug&play" stuff.

Thanks stlbeer, all really great points. Ill definitely look into recirculating thru the RIMS Rocket to help speed up the strike water.

The reason I wasn't thinking re-using the tube after the RIMS Rocket to the Boil Kettle because I plan on having that end connected to the AutoSparge. Figured I didn't want to mess with disconnecting and reconnecting a tube. Figured a valve would be easier.

As for the two controllers, I figured that would be okay to start with and if I wanted to to back to back brews in the future I could just get another controller.

I guess with another set of eyes looking at this I guess Im okay to proceed and then just adjust as I go. I priced out all of this and minus the tubing and connections its only around $4000. Everyone keeps saying Blichmann is over priced but thats literally all Blichmann and cheaper than other setups and essentially "plug&play" stuff.

:drunk: you could do all that with non-blichmann for about $1500 or less, so I think they are VERY overpriced. but like you said, it is all plug and play and you dont have to design or fab anything yourself.

:drunk: you could do all that with non-blichmann for about $1500 or less, so I think they are VERY overpriced. but like you said, it is all plug and play and you dont have to design or fab anything yourself.

Thanks Minbari, I guess I was comparing it to The Electric Brewery's setup. TEB's setup is pretty nice and would produce bigger batches than this but they say it would take roughly "...two to four weeks of working evenings to assemble..." while costing "Total cost: $ 5991 - 6796". I don't have the time or the tools to build it myself so if I could have something close, and made by a reputable brand this seems like a great price to me.

yup, I can see that. time and tools will make up the difference in costs pretty quick.

dont get me wrong, Blichmann is high quality. I just think that other companies make something just as good, for much less. Kinda like buying a car that goes 0-60 in 4 sec and has a top speed of 160 MPH for $120k vs a car that goes 0-60 in 3.8 sec but has a top speed of 200MPH for $400k. since you cant drive 160 or 200 MPH, the slightly slower car is just good enough ;)

Well the Blichmann electric Tower of Power came in at great fermentations so I decided to pull the trigger and bought everything in the diagram. Will keep everyone posted as the parts arrive and I try to put it all together in case anyone's interested.

definately! always fun to see peoples builds as they go.

I'd be interested. I'm looking at doing the exact same thing. Curious how you'll end up liking it all. Im mostly curious about the awkwardness of the rims rocket. If it'll be a pain in the ass having a 150 degree tube rolling around while you're mashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

kcmobrewer, I'll keep you posted. Said it will be a few weeks till everything arrives but I'll share pics and how things go along the way.

Zachzama - I'm actually working on the same basic system 20hlt/30mlt/30bk I'm still waiting for the 30's to come off backorder. I know you can find almost comparable components cheaper but I don't have the time to be fabbing tanks, controllers, etc.. I have enough to do setting up a brewhouse in my basement to accommodate all this cool new equipment. Look forward to seeing your system take shape and I'll throw some stuff out there as I progress.

4k?
WOW

It certainly makes me feel better about my electric setup which has all the same functionality as your prospective one only I have a herms AND rims setup for under $700....(havent tested my new rims yet)
you can find the multi pid control panels already built and wired up to the heaters for a few hundred on ebay.... it doesnt take any skill to drill the holes and mount them in the pots... same with connecting the silicone hoses and screwing on the fittings....

theres a lot of biased information here along with the good and it doesnt help that are also a lot of members pushing thier own products and services as well as a lot of members trying to justify thier own spending.

There is a huge difference between the Cost of the top dollar brand and the economical alternatives but ironically there isnt such a difference at all when it comes to functionality, ease of use or the quality of the beer..... It really just boils down to if its worth it or not to have the "bling" factor and bragging rights...Same reason for uber expensive clothes and sporting goods... If your loaded and the money means nothing then fine if not they are just not very practical.
Sure the blickmann stuff is nice quality but its still overpriced for what it is and what its intended to do... theres not sophisticated technology or millions in research and development to pay off so why the crazy prices?? because people will pay... many shop based on price or advertising alone.
Thier fittings and components are non standard, Why? could it be to intentionally keep you spending more with them?... Not My cup of tea but to each his own.

4k?
I have a herms AND rims setup

Both?? Maybe this belongs on a different thread... but why do you have both?

I have often wondered which is the better system - HERMS/RIMS

I have a RIMS but have had second thoughts since I built the original in '02...

Both?? Maybe this belongs on a different thread... but why do you have both?

I have often wondered which is the better system - HERMS/RIMS

I have a RIMS but have had second thoughts since I built the original in '02...

simply put, So I can decide for myself which I like better and not just wonder. The rims setup only cost $40 to build so why not? (small 1000w cartridge heater build) If it works well it can save me an additional 30mins or so each brew session and be easier to control.

4k?
WOW

It certainly makes me feel better about my electric setup which has all the same functionality as your prospective one only I have a herms AND rims setup for under $700....(havent tested my new rims yet)
you can find the multi pid control panels already built and wired up to the heaters for a few hundred on ebay.... it doesnt take any skill to drill the holes and mount them in the pots... same with connecting the silicone hoses and screwing on the fittings....

theres a lot of biased information here along with the good and it doesnt help that are also a lot of members pushing thier own products and services as well as a lot of members trying to justify thier own spending.

There is a huge difference between the Cost of the top dollar brand and the economical alternatives but ironically there isnt such a difference at all when it comes to functionality, ease of use or the quality of the beer..... It really just boils down to if its worth it or not to have the "bling" factor and bragging rights...Same reason for uber expensive clothes and sporting goods... If your loaded and the money means nothing then fine if not they are just not very practical.
Sure the blickmann stuff is nice quality but its still overpriced for what it is and what its intended to do... theres not sophisticated technology or millions in research and development to pay off so why the crazy prices?? because people will pay... many shop based on price or advertising alone.
Thier fittings and components are non standard, Why? could it be to intentionally keep you spending more with them?... Not My cup of tea but to each his own.

So thanks for chiming in. Sure everything comes down to preference and I could have built something much cheaper but why get into that? Sure I could have gone to the local dump and found some steel barrels or maybe an old toilet to brew out of but that wasn't the purpose of this thread. I was comparing to the Electric Brewing system thats really nice, but a lot of do-it-yourself for around $7k. I just bought all brand new equipment thats all plug in and go. Plus I don't have to look like I stole my kids half time soccer igloo with kool aid stains to brew my beer.

So for the rest of the people who are like me (and there seems to be a lot), Ill continue to keep you up to date as things arrive (nothing yet) and how the process goes.

So thanks for chiming in. Sure everything comes down to preference and I could have built something much cheaper but why get into that? Sure I could have gone to the local dump and found some steel barrels or maybe an old toilet to brew out of but that wasn't the purpose of this thread. I was comparing to the Electric Brewing system thats really nice, but a lot of do-it-yourself for around $7k. I just bought all brand new equipment thats all plug in and go. Plus I don't have to look like I stole my kids half time soccer igloo with kool aid stains to brew my beer.

So for the rest of the people who are like me (and there seems to be a lot), Ill continue to keep you up to date as things arrive (nothing yet) and how the process goes.

Who said anything about going to a dump? Nothing like taking it to the opposite extreme to try to justify your point of view.
How about just buying a stainless pot or cooler instead of "stealing one from your kids"you can buy the exact same size stainless pots with the same components already assembled for half of the price of Blichmanns. Why spend the extra money for no practical gain?
Why wait for blichmann to "copy" what was invented in this hobby by DIYers? if you feel the DIY method is so beneath you why are you brewing beer instead of just buying your Heinekens?
I bought all my components new except some of the electrical components in my control panel....

I have nothing to gain or lose here only you, its your money go ahead and blow it..like I said if you have it and would rather spend it thats your pejorative but it doesnt make anything anymore practical unless maybe your making more an hour to justify the couple of hours to assemble the components and mount the elements... . Your the one who came here looking for some insight.
blichmann should forget about going electric and concentrate on something like a gold plated line... I bet they would make a killing.

I held off saying it before but it is unfair to compare what you have bought to the $7k estimate for the electric brewery as you are not comparable in what you are getting:
10G vs. 20G kettles
Stainless vs. plastic pumps
HERMS vs. RIMS (not saying one is better than the other here)
CFC vs. Plate chiller (again not saying one is better than the other)
And then you also haven't included all the hoses, fittings, additional valves, stand, ventilation, grain mill.
I think I did a quick breakdown as far as I could and I would expect the 2 to be comparable price so you are right you get the benefit of reduced DIY - but you also loss a bit of functionality with no timer, one less temp sensor (I actually don't understand using $100+ just to read a temperature), etc.
Also does the blichmann gear come pre assembled, I would be expecting to have to assemble the stuff as shipping the kettle with the sight glass, thermometer and valve already attached would be awkward and also highly likely to get damaged.

4k?
WOW

It certainly makes me feel better about my electric setup which has all the same functionality as your prospective one only I have a herms AND rims setup for under $700....

I would be eternally grateful if you elaborated on your system. I'm trying to price out an all-electric 3-pot HERMS setup and it's looking crazy expensive.

I held off saying it before but it is unfair to compare what you have bought to the $7k estimate for the electric brewery as you are not comparable in what you are getting:
10G vs. 20G kettles
And then you also haven't included all the hoses, fittings, additional valves, stand, ventilation, grain mill.
I think I did a quick breakdown as far as I could and I would expect the 2 to be comparable price so you are right you get the benefit of reduced DIY - but you also loss a bit of functionality with no timer, one less temp sensor (I actually don't understand using $100+ just to read a temperature), etc.
Also does the blichmann gear come pre assembled, I would be expecting to have to assemble the stuff as shipping the kettle with the sight glass, thermometer and valve already attached would be awkward and also highly likely to get damaged.

Hey matt2d, all good points. The larger batches is the biggest difference. But I ended up getting stainless chugger pumps, and all the valves, (still need hoses) and added things like the autosparge, and TrueMometer shipped and tax for around $3890. So just need a stainless steel stand (prob $120) and tubing.

The Blichmann products don't come fully assembled but from what I saw on the manuls it's not bad.

So just as you said, the differences between this setup and the Electric Brewing is probably preference in certain areas. I really hate to keep comparing to the Electric brewing because I totally applaud what they spent the time to do and help out so many people. I just used it as a cost comparison when determining what I'd spend compared to just buying "Pre Assembled" pieces.

So I'll probably only spend another few hundred on various things and hoses and only be around $4200 total. For me that's something I was comfortable spending and hope to help share my experience with people who are interested in a similar setup.

Hey matt2d, all good points. The larger batches is the biggest difference. But I ended up getting stainless chugger pumps, and all the valves, (still need hoses) and added things like the autosparge, and TrueMometer shipped and tax for around $3890. So just need a stainless steel stand (prob $120) and tubing.

The Blichmann products don't come fully assembled but from what I saw on the manuls it's not bad.

So just as you said, the differences between this setup and the Electric Brewing is probably preference in certain areas. I really hate to keep comparing to the Electric brewing because I totally applaud what they spent the time to do and help out so many people. I just used it as a cost comparison when determining what I'd spend compared to just buying "Pre Assembled" pieces.

So I'll probably only spend another few hundred on various things and hoses and only be around $4200 total. For me that's something I was comfortable spending and hope to help share my experience with people who are interested in a similar setup.

I do agree with you that this is a horse for course game - and you have done what you have done because that suits you best. If you could keep us update on the final total cost it would be interesting because that is what I have found interesting, the final "few" piece for anything I have built has always been much more than I originally budgeted :D

I do always grit my teeth when discussing prebuilt / predesigned systems since I always look at it (if I were to purchase one) as having to either spend more on stuff I don't want/need or not getting exactly what I want. That is why I like the DIY route - I get what I want and can make it expandable if need be. But I also know a lot of people view the world differently and I see the place for plug & play gear.

In terms of 10 to 20 gallons the difference is really $100 a pot or $300 total so not too much in the grand scheme of dropping $4k+. It is good to have different options explored for others to know there is more than one way to skin a beer.

10G vs. 20G kettles

Fair point,
Just to be clear my setup is good for up to 10 gallon batches.
I use a 13gallon stainless boil kettle, a 15gallon keg for the HLT it does have a 25ft herms coil installed (ok this was repurposed)

At the moment I am using a 10gallon igloo beverage cooler for my mashtun until I figure out if I'm going to bother with an insulated stainless one or not for an upgrade.. I have a homemade autosparge with a stainless float sensor.(I'll admit this would be mainly a cosmetic uograde)

bk and MT have bazooka tubes with fine screens.

I use 2 4500w elements for the boil and HLT that now have quick disconnects and 1 1000w stainless element in my rims tube.

My chiller is a long 20 plate model. (duda diesel)

I use stainless fittings,quickdisconnects and silicone hoses from bargain fittings.

I do use three 12v food grade composite pumps that are on pwm speed controllers. (these work perfect for me so no desire to upgrade?) They make it very easy to dial in mash, sparge and chill temps.

All 3 of my pids do have the alarm function hooked up and I do have a dual stage din timer with alarm also

I use a 300micron 6x14 stainless hop screen from Arbor fabrication. (also have a smaller 4x10 I just upgraded from)

That $700 also includes the spa panel and 100ft of 10/3 and breaker as well as misc stuff like my stc1000 fermantation controller, wine chiller for fermentation chamber I picked up on craigslist and refractometer, siphons and stirplate setup.

For an additional $350 I got 15, 5 gallon kegs and 5 10 gallon pepsi kegs and 5 co2 tanks with regulators (used) and a few more which were donated by homebrewers who left the hobby.

The point im trying to make here is it in no way has to be that expensive to be functional and work well..For another couple hundred I could have focused on looks which are nice and do have thier place here but I built mine to make beer and I was on a budget. for2-3k you CAN have both.
theres also a big difference from even $4200 and 7k

For 7k you can likely have a custom made 20 gallon hard plumbed conical system made for you according to what I've seen on ebay.

Not much of an update but my two Chugger stainless steel center inlet pumps and valves came today. Still waiting on all the Blichmann equipment which said it won't be shipped for another week or more.

Not much of an update but my two Chugger stainless steel center inlet pumps and valves came today. Still waiting on all the Blichmann equipment which said it won't be shipped for another week or more.
I have received all the major equipment except the controllers (which have shipped) and the 30 gal pots (these things have been on back order for a while and nobody can say when orders will be filled, frustrating). Hopefully I can get this system together before the cold sets in, no more brewing in freezing garage!

Received notice all my equipment shipped today and will arrive Monday. Of course I'm out of town all next week with work so won't be able to start assembling and providing input until the following week. On a side note, I did receive my temp control for my Ss brewing fermenter today. Can't wait to try everything out and will keep you all posted when I can.

Sorry for the late update, had lots of things pop up and things got put on the back burner.

Finally ordered all the final parts (hopstopper, two 3way valves, all quick disconnects, etc) and was about $800. So basically about $4700 total. Going to set everything up this weekend and will post pics in the upcoming weeks.

Will you do a full review of the RIMS Rocket when you have a couple batches under your belt? I havent really seen a ton on it, and Im really interested in seeing how it performs.

Most definitely. I haven't seen anything on a Blichmann all electronic rims system so hopefully I can help.

Here is my old Blichmann electric RIMS. 9000W, wireless controlled. Back when things weren't as fancy as they are today.

image.jpg

Okay, so I've started putting everything together and came to a bit of a halt. Need some help as I'm probably just in the weeds on it.

My question, I only have two Blichmann electric tower of powers. On their website and everything it says "use one controller for your hot liquor tank and another to control the mash". Okay, but what about the boil kettle? My original idea was to take the sensor connection from the hot liquor tank and simply plug in the boil kettle. But I can't find any info anywhere on the Blichmann boilcoil and/or the boil kettle with a tower of power. Are there other ideas or options out there? Is it possible to just "manually" turn on the coil in the boil kettle and monitor the thermometer that came with the kettle?

Any help is appreciated as I'm at the point of installing the sensors and need a direction for the boil kettle. I guess if I'm going to "switch" the controls from the hot liquor tank to the boil kettle I need to just buy another sensor (if they sell them separately) and not be to bothered. Just haven't seen anything from Blichmann or online on how anyone else handles the boil kettle.

Okay, so I've started putting everything together and came to a bit of a halt. Need some help as I'm probably just in the weeds on it.

My question, I only have two Blichmann electric tower of powers. On their website and everything it says "use one controller for your hot liquor tank and another to control the mash". Okay, but what about the boil kettle? My original idea was to take the sensor connection from the hot liquor tank and simply plug in the boil kettle. But I can't find any info anywhere on the Blichmann boilcoil and/or the boil kettle with a tower of power. Are there other ideas or options out there? Is it possible to just "manually" turn on the coil in the boil kettle and monitor the thermometer that came with the kettle?

Any help is appreciated as I'm at the point of installing the sensors and need a direction for the boil kettle. I guess if I'm going to "switch" the controls from the hot liquor tank to the boil kettle I need to just buy another sensor (if they sell them separately) and not be to bothered. Just haven't seen anything from Blichmann or online on how anyone else handles the boil kettle.

The tower of power controllers have an always on mode that you can use for the boil and bypass the temperature control. Switch it to on and control the output with the pad on the top of the controller box. No temperature sensor needed in the BK. Just adjust the output of the controller to control how vigorously you boil.

See the video at about the 2:55 mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thank you so much. I've got a good start to putting everything together and will share some pictures soon.

Sorry it's been awhile and I know I said I'd keep everyone up to date on progress. Had a few things get in the way and everything went on the back burner for awhile. Finally getting everything out of boxes and setup soon. Will keep you all posted as things progress.

Okay, so after quite a long time I have the bones setup. Had a lot of things come up so this was put on the back burner but more than happy to share my experience with anyone who has questions. Here is what Ive learned so far.
1. It will take you much longer than you think to research and actually set things up. There weren't any guides on a RIMS setup so I kind of had to figure that part out (not hard) but the site that was instrumental in helping me was all the info at "The Electric Brewery".
2. Make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing to get your 240v power installed (if you go the 240v route). I was lucky as my breaker is on opposite side of the wall in my garage where I installed. Took some time to find the right person and the right price. The breakers themselves were the most expensive part.
3. Make sure you check your list of parts multiple times and have a clear idea of how your setup will work. I had multiple orders for small parts I missed or mis-ordered.
4. Take your time! It looks easy, but getting all the right washers, o-rings, parts and everything together right took some time. Im not the most savvy with tools as I work in IT and my main tool is a keyboard. Just take your time to do things right. A big one is assuring you know where you want to drill the holes in your pots and have the right tools.

I plan to run water thru the whole system and brew this weekend but after finally getting the time to finish, here is what I have so far...

Electric_RIMS_Setup.jpg

... Okay, but what about the boil kettle? My original idea was to take the sensor connection from the hot liquor tank and simply plug in the boil kettle. But I can't find any info anywhere on the Blichmann boilcoil and/or the boil kettle with a tower of power. Are there other ideas or options out there? ....

Hi Zach,
I'm about to embark on complete electric conversion.
I also had a lot of inspiration from The Electric Brewery website, which is more HERMS oriented.
However I've already got the RIMS Rocket. So I'm updating with that in the process.

For the boil control, I thought about an extra PID, and was not going to spend the coins on a 3rd Blichmann Tower of Power console.

My solution so far is this Digital SSR regulator from Auberins model DSPR1 ..
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=444

I'm thinking of mounting it in a box with heatsink, etc, on top of the two tower power consoles.

How did you go with running and powering your 240v BoilCoil Kettle?
Thanks,
Richie

Hey Richie, I had that exact same question when putting things together. I only have 2 Blichmann controllers and it works out just fine. Basically while I was sparging, I disconnected the controller on the Hop Rocket as it wasn't needed and connected it to the boil. So the mash maintained heat through the sparge water. Then once everything was transferred, I turned on the boil. They outline the process in the step by step brew day process on the electric brewery.

As for the 204v, I had a electrician come out and install two outlets in my garage. I was lucky as my box was in the same wall, just on the other side. The most expensive part was the two GFI breakers but everything works great.

Back