Electric Keg HLT... Thoughts?....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
I am planning my eventual rig and I think I am leaning towards an electric HLT... Simply for convenience and not having to plumb for propane / natural gas...

I have a spare 220v outlet in my laundry room (we have NG to run the dryer)....

I was figuring I could just get an appropriate drop cord and run maybe a 3500 / 4500W element in a converted keg...

Any thoughts?

TIA

:mug:

Depending on your level of patience, a 2000w 120v will also work for an HLT.

Will a 120v/2000w heat 10 gallons to 170F in a reasonable amount of time? I don't have convenient access to a 220v outlet but would like to try this option. I don't mind waiting 40 minutes.

My 1650w element will heat my insulated keg HLT up to 170 in an hour and 15 minutes, if I start with warm water from the tap it's 45 minutes.

Thats with 12 gallons of water.

I'm using 2 1500 Watt elements. 1 for my HLT and one for my MLT. I just set up the night before and program my BCS-460 to come on about 3pm. By 5pm it is at strike temp and holding.

I use pumps to push the water past the heating elements mounted in a tube. All of the heat exchangers, pumps and electronics are in a small box that I set on the ground under my HLT and MLT. So I have a non-permanent structure that breaks down into 3 parts and 4 hoses. 5 parts if you count the BK and burner.

Makes for easy storage in the garage.

For remote brews with the club, I use my tailgate as a table to set the MLT and HLT on, set my "brewery in a box" on the ground and plug in 2 extension cords and my 4 hoses and I'm good to go.

Linc

Referring to the extension cord from the laundry room to my brew area, what I am finding is that a 10 AWG wire will be sufficient for 30 amps... Which, if I am reading this correctly, means I could use up to a 4500W element without issue?

Please correct me if I am wrong... I can change a light bulb and rewire an outlet, but this 240V stuff scares me a little...

:mug:

I'm using 3x230VAC 2 000 kW elementsfor my HLT. (Using wood ribs on a roller ring on the tun, under that I have approximately 1" of PU foam for insulation).

At 240vac, 4.5KW is about 18.75 amps. Your 30 amp circuit will be more than sufficient.

240 really isn't that bad to work with... Try 440 3 phase, 17KV DC, or anything that runs off of 400Hz power (hurts more when it bites).

Your idea is a good one, roll with it. Use a GFCI breaker on that circuit, use the 10AWG wire at least and go with anything up to 5500W for the element.

Installing the element in a keg is easy. Drill the hole, put the element through it with the supplied rubber seal on it, then use a 1" SS straight thread nut from Bargainfittings.com to hold it in place.

You will want to either pot your electrical connections on the element, or build a more complicated enclosed box. I simply potted mine in a cube of epoxy.

Thanks for the input...

Pol... What did you use to 'pot' your connections, and more importantly what does that mean? I think I read something about it in your build thread... Basicall encase it all in a non-conductive medium to prevent water / shorts?

Also, I am assuming that I should get some reflectix to insulate the tun with as well...

Yes in my electric build thread the process for potting is detailed with pictures. You encase all of the connections in a non conductive epoxy resin so that it is water tight and that you can touch it live with no fear of electricution. I used JB Weld as it is the strongest epoxy that I know of that is readily available. It also has excellent dielectric properties.

Insulation will help maintain a set temperature. I use coolers for this very reason, they are relatively cheap, and have excellent insuation.

Will a 120v/2000w heat 10 gallons to 170F in a reasonable amount of time? I don't have convenient access to a 220v outlet but would like to try this option. I don't mind waiting 40 minutes.

Yes, mine is insulated with industrial bubble wrap and I am using one 1500 watt 120 stick heater (from an RV HW tank)
Also made an insulated lid.

7 AM
8 gallons 57 degree tap water (it comes out at 50 but sitting overnight got it to a "whopping" 57)

9 AM
176 and ready for dough in

Insulation will help maintain a set temperature. I use coolers for this very reason, they are relatively cheap, and have excellent insuation.

I actually had a moment of thought the other day about this very idea... I thought I may get another Coleman Xtreme 70q and make the HLT out of that...

Whatever would I do with my two extra Sankes that are in the garage?... Hmmmm... 15 gallons fermenters?...

Now I am flip flopping... DAMNIT!!!

:ban:

Back