Electric HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman002

Reaction score
I'm planning on constructing an HLT similar to the one described in www.electricbrewery.com Not the full meal deal, just the HLT. Since I already brew in the laundry room, Ill be plugging it into the dryer recepticle. Any ideas on controlling the 220 heater? I'm even thinking of wiring in some kind of switch and just shutting it off when the water reachs 170.

Thanks for your ideas
Rich

A beautiful build, but way beyond what I want or have the ability to build. I probably should have bought a 120 v element instead of the 220 but I assumed I could purchase a device that I could just hook up between the power and the element, turn a dial to set the temp and be good to go. apparently not.

Rich

How about a simple setup like this?

With a single Auber Instruments PID you can set and control the water temperature very precisely. It can also be used in manual mode during a boil and regulate the rate of the boil. It's a very simple set up that could work for you.

As always - click on the image to see a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

P-J is right. Use the HLT as your boil kettle also. Its remarkably efficient and easy. Well worth the small expense to set up.

Interesting...You got a picture of how that all fits in a box? :confused:

rich
No, but a few people on this forum have. The whole rig will fit in a Project Box that is also offered by Auber Instruments. Click the link and you can see a picture of the base setup with the PID, SSR and heat sink in place. You would just need to add switches and wiring.

Hope this helps.

I'm unsure what this represents in the schematic:

Unidentified.jpg

Is there a thermal sensor attached to the pot?

I would guess not..you set the PID for the temp desired....I may be catching on.

I understand the ground and neutral connected to the bars but the two hots connected to similar looking bars confuses me. Is there some way to insulate them? I'm used to wire nutting to distribute a hot. Also I know you can get fuse holders for the fuses but are the resistors just soldered to the wire and left hanging? Forgive my ignorance.

Rich

Back