electric heater element and cleaning chemicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
So this may be a better question for the equipment forum, but thought I'd post in electric.

If I have a HLT build from stainless 304, employing the use of a water heater element (camco), will the element and its NPT base be able to tolerate the use of acid and caustic chemicals for standard brewery cleaning?

I also have a fermenter, mash tun, boil kettle, and glycol chiller tank all stainless 304, that need to be passivated. I wanted to use heated water from the HLT and citric acid to do this. I'd be pumping the citric acid solution through all the equipment using the HLT to maintain a high enough temperature of 180 degrees. Will the element withstand the passivation process using a 12% citric acid solution heated to 180 F?

These may be hard questions, not sure if anyone has experience with these, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
:fro:

I used star San which is an acid to sanitize all the equipment prior to the first batch in my keggles. I recirculated for an hour with no apparent problem with the element.

Back