electric extract setup plus late addition LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancer033

Reaction score
I built this to do 5 gallon batches of extract ales. So far it's been great however there are several recipes that i want to do that call for late additions of LME and I'm concerned about what will happen when that hits the heating element.

What I've been doing is heating up water, transferring 1-2 gallons to my old kettle, adding LME/DME to that mixing it up there and pouring back into the kettle to do a full 5 gal boil like normal. My main reason for doing this was that it's easier to stir without all the stuff in the kettle and if avoids the possibility of the heating element scorching the extract.

As i see it, my options are....

#1 stop worrying and dump the extract in the kettle and everything will be fine.

#2 turn off the heating element and dump it in slowly and the stove should keep the boil going

#3 forget the late addition, put all the extract in at the beginning and you'll still have beer, just slightly darker than you planned.

what do you guys think?

I don't really see much of an advantage to adding LME late in the boil for full boils, so I'd probably just keep doing what you're doing unless you're trouble by a beer that is too dark. If that is the case, just switch to DME for the LME (unless it's rye malt or Munich malt, which doesn't come in DME).

well i brewed a batch of Scottish Wee Heavy using the Northern Brewer kit and followed my normal procedure instead of the directions and i have beer fermenting. Smells good, and looks fine to me.

Back