Electric apple scratter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be rebuilding an apple scratter that I got for free (needs a new frame.) I happen to have an extra 1/4hp electric motor kicking abou tso I thought I would make my scratter electric and started my google foray.

Why do most people slow the motor down? Is there an ideal RPM for a scratter? Wouldn't faster mean finer pulp which would lead to a higher yielding press? I'm likely to do this soon so I might do some trial and error, but my google searching showed no explanation to why people do it except that EVERYONE does it.

I'm not an engineer but I'm guessing it needs to be geared down to give enough power to chew through the apples and not jam. Finer isn't necessarily better with scratters, you want the pieces about pea size. With the commercial apple mills, the motor spins vertically not horizontally with blades like a garden mulcher. I presume you are referring to a drum scratter with the motor mounted horizontal and a spinning drum with SS screws sunk in the drum to chop the apples.

I'm not an engineer either so I figured this forum would have something/someone that could answer. I had originally thought the same (in regards to power) although a high torque electric motor should do the same...

I would love to have a commercial scratter; although my free one is an old horizontal drum with 1/2" rounded spikes covering it's entire surface. Looks gnarly and should do the job. I was under the impression the closer your scratter got to a paste the better extraction through a ratchet style press - this however may be miss information.

I haven't used a ratchet style press, only the rack and cloth type. I don't think you ever want a paste, though the optimal texture does vary according to the press design.

Thanks greg - I will take your word for it since last time I pressed was over a decade ago.

Off to build I go.

Back