Eggnog (aka JetNog)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
I have been making this recipe for several years now and have been very happy with it. I generally don't have a large holiday party where I would need a punch bowl full of the stuff, so I just drink the eggnog base with a little fresh grated nutmeg.

It has earned the name JetNog from my friends and I keep getting requests to make it year after year for them. So be careful!

Bourbon: I have used everything from Maker's Mark to Evan Williams for bourbon and have found that Maker's was a little much for the nog, IMO. I now use a blend of Beam and Williams.

Brandy/Cognac: I am a firm believer that a little extra cash here goes a long way. I have made it with E&J to Hennessy, I much prefered the Hennessy but it is up to your tastes.

Rum: I have used a blend of rums in the last two years and have noticed a change for the better in my nog. I used Meyers and The Krakken this year at about 50/50.

Aging: I aged a bottle of this nog for 3 years in the back of my fridge, it was so thick (think corn syrup) and smooth it was like drinking a milk shake. If you have the ability to age some for a year (I just put some in a beer bottle and hide it in the back), you should see where it goes.

Warning: It goes without saying, but this recipe uses raw eggs. If you are concerned whether you should be consuming raw eggs, consult a healthcare professional. You could also used pasteurized eggs, but I never have. (There is a ton of alcohol in here).

If you want to make it a little lighter add the 1.5 cups of cream (for serving) to the base.

For the eggnog base:
12 large eggs yolks (reserve the whites)
2 cups sugar
1 liter bourbon
1 quart whole milk (don't even think about using anything else)
1 cup heavy cream
0.75 cup brandy or Cognac
0.50 cup dark rum
Pinch fine salt

Makes about 3 liters/0.75 gallons of base.

If you plan to serve this all at the same time (from a punch bowl), you will also need:
12 egg whites (reserved from making the base)
1.5 cups heavy cream

For the eggnog base:

1. Place the reserved egg whites in quart size freezer bag and squeeze the air out. Toss it in the freezer until you want to drink, see note above.

2. Combine the yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until well creamy, the color should lighten slightly.

3. Add everything else and stir for about a minute, making sure to get the egg/sugar mixture off the bottom of the bowl.

4. Carefully pour the eggnog base into a 1 gallon glass jug. Stash it in the fridge for at least a week to allow for flavor integration. The longer the better. Shake the jug for a few seconds every day for at least the first week.

If you plan to serve this all at the same time (from a punch bowl), you will also need:

1. Place the frozen egg whites in the refrigerator to thaw the day before your party.

2. Take your egg whites out of the fridge and warm to room temp. Best to use a stand mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Place into large punch bowl.

3. Pour cold cream into the mixer bowl and whisk on high speed until medium peaks form, about 1 to 2 minutes. Place whipped cream into punch bowl.

4. Shake the eggnog base and carefully pour it into the punch bowl. Fold the whipped cream, whipped egg whites and eggnog base carefully as to not deflate the whites. Serve immediately with fresh nutmeg.

Merry Christmas!

I finally got around to calculating the ABV of the nog base.

20.19% ABV when made with the recipe above.

If you want to make some for this year, better get on it this week!

Whoa damn! Probably won't get to it this year but will be making some of this at one point for sure

Extract recipe?

Jk. May give this a go. Any issues foreseeable with halfing the recipe?

interesting recipe. the business with the egg whites usually signifies a Tom and Jerry - but a Tom and Jerry is a warm drink.

i like the bourbon / cognac / rum nogs, but my favorite is cognac and sherry. amontillado or similar.

interesting recipe. the business with the egg whites usually signifies a Tom and Jerry - but a Tom and Jerry is a warm drink.

i like the bourbon / cognac / rum nogs, but my favorite is cognac and sherry. amontillado or similar.

Just about every old school nog recipe I have come across treats the whites in such a manner.

Tom and Jerry is a completely different drink, however it is the child of nog (it's a variant).

I suppose you could call it a flip if you really wanted to, but that might be a stretch depending who you ask.

Back