Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know, when using extract, that efficiency is pretty well spelled out. You use this much LME or DME and you will get this OG and this FG. Yet, I have seen my efficiency go through the roof on my last two batches. Last night I bottled a ginger saison that I assumed would go down to 1.014, but it actually got down to 1.006, which threw my ABV up more than I wanted. The batch before that was expected to be a bout 9.6 ABV, a DIPA, but turned out to be 10.63. Now, the culprit may be the change in yeast. Previously I was using Wyeat, but on these two batches I used US-05 for the DIPA and Dan-star Saison. Are these two yeast creating this efficiency boost or could there be another culprit? I am not complaining, but I did not hope for a saison in the 7.5 ABV range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It could be due to the yeast. Possibility related the strain, pitch rate, health or temperature. The term for what you are seeing is called higher attenuation not efficiency.

Are you using simple sugars in your recipe?

The use of sugar might explain the higher attenuation. Malt extract typically has an apparent attenuation of 75% while simple sugar is 100%.

Added sugar will lower the FG as it is 100% fermentable. Actually, more than 100% as you measure with the hydrometer. The hydrometer measures apparent attenuation (relative to water at 1.000) however, simple sugars can ferment down to 0.990 (thus greater than 100%).

S-05 is a pretty good attenuating yeast. Saison yeasts are generally high attenuating, but I don't know that particular one. I like my IPAs and Saisons dry, 'More digestible' as they say.

........... And what is wrong with higher abv ...... go wash your mouth out (with some beer)!

Can be frustrating when you're not getting the results you target. Most of the time people complain about attenuation, it's because they're not getting the FG LOW enough - a lot are enduring the "1.020 curse." That's certainly not the case with yours. Enjoy your strong brews! :)

I am not one to shy away from a big beer, ever. My question is only about how this happened. When I put my recipe on BeerSmith I got a lower ABV than what I finished with. The sugar was added in to my recipe. I am not complaining, these beers will soak me through the holidays, but just looking to learn more about the best hobby ever. Thanks

The calculators take no account of how fermentable the ingredients are. You will get the same quoted attenuation if you put together a 100% lactose recipe (which is unfermentable), and a 100% plain sugar recipe (which is 100% fermentable).

The yeast will absolutely change your results. The software derives those FG numbers based on the yeast attenuation numbers....use a better attenuating yeast and you are very likely to end up with a lower FG, all others things held constant. Specifically, Saison yeasts finish very dry (1.001-1.004)

Back