Efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALester

Reaction score
Hello, I hardly ever post on here but i have been having the same reoccurring efficiency issues. I am constantly under shoot my target OG, and i suspect it has to do with lautering. For example: if i Brewmaster calculates 1.050, i am usually running in the 1.042 range.
Are these programs over exaggerating gravities, or am I getting worked up over nothing?

Not familiar with ibrewmaster but the programs don't "exaggerate", they generally calculate what you set them for. The defaults on the programs I've used typically seem to be 72-75% range. So if you had a recipe that was supposed to hit 1.050 at 75% efficiency and you only got 1.042 that translates to about 63% efficiency. Sounds like you either need to reset the default to get an accurate prediction, or work on why your efficiency is low (if you're not happy with it).

Thanks, i have never calculated my brewhouse efficiency, is there anything wrong with a lower efficiency?

Thanks, i have never calculated my brewhouse efficiency, is there anything wrong with a lower efficiency?

If you're otherwise happy with your beer the only issue I really see is having to buy more grains. Do you crush your own?

Efficiency can be increased by making sure you do a few things correctly each and every time. Here's what I would consider important points to increasing you gravity:

1.) a good crush on your grain. Typically you want to crack your grain to the point where your husks are mostly intact but not shredded. You can get better efficiency by crushing the hell out of it but you will certainly run the risk of a stuck sparge. You can add rice hulls to the mash to counter this so really the crack is up to you. I'd say go with a crack where the hulls stay mostly intact, but if you like taking risks, crack the hell out of it and add rice hulls. Don't say you we're not warned though.

2.) a good mash always break down to temperature and time. A good rule of thumb (although it can always be broken) is higher mashes for a lower time and lower mashes for longer times. The key thing about the mash temps are to do a mash out. No matter what, raise the mash temp to 168 -170 (no higher than 170) and hold for about 10 minutes. This stops the mashing process and also makes sure the sugars are all "loose" from the grain and can freely be drained. If you don't have a setup where you can raise your mash temps use one of the online sparge calculators to find out how much boiling water to add to the mash to raise your temp to the desired goal. One tip for you here, if you add boiling water have some cold water on hand to drop the temps if you overshoot that 170 degree mark. You don't want the mash over 170 or you run the risk of releasing tannins and a harshness from the grain.

3.) sparge slow. I don't like to wait when I sparge but it is really important to sparge slowly to get the best extraction out of the grain. Some guys can take an hour to sparge, take as long as you need just don't go fast. Slow moving water will wash the grain more efficiently. Go slow and watch that efficiency rise.

If you can stick to these three items, your gravity will rise. One item I personally always do as well is to balance your ph to around 5.3 (above 5 lower than 5.5). If you can't tell, I've had this issue as well. Do what ever you can to follow these rules and you will have no problems.

Good luck.

You're assuming the OP is fly sparging though. I never bother with a mash out when batch sparging, and I drain as fast as it will go. I get about the same 77-80% efficiency on my two different set-ups whether batch or fly sparging.

Your lucky. I used to do the same thing and never got good efficiency, in my opinion. Everybody's system is different. In my case the above changes made a HUGE difference.

I brewed today and really was careful to use the tips I got in response, I am pretty excited when I got a much better yield. I sparged super slow, left a full 1-2 inches on top of the grain bed when rinsing and got 9 points better than the last time i brewed the same batch.

ALester said:
I brewed today and really was careful to use the tips I got in response, I am pretty excited when I got a much better yield. I sparged super slow, left a full 1-2 inches on top of the grain bed when rinsing and got 9 points better than the last time i brewed the same batch.

Sorry, 6 points better

Back