Efficency problem, bad crush from LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I typically hit 75-80% efficiency, but twice in the last year I've only hit 55%. Both times, I had my grain crushed at a LHBS (I've got 2 and had low efficiency from each). Each time I crush my grain with my el cheapo corona mill I'm fine.

My question is, is it possible that I crush finer then normal, and that adds to my efficiency?

Here is the recipe I used today for a 5 gallon pale ale

10 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal
.5 lbs carapils

I ended with 1.035

I had a very similar case with some online stores and my LHBS. When I wasn't milling my own my preboil gravity would always be really low. Once I got my grain mill I was hitting numbers dead on. This weekend I actually helped two friends brew. One bought his milled kit from an online store and the other from LHBS. Both didn't look as good of a crush as when I do it. Both came in low for preboil.

Grain mill is one of the best pieces of equipment to buy.

I had a very similar case with some online stores and my LHBS. When I wasn't milling my own my preboil gravity would always be really low. Once I got my grain mill I was hitting numbers dead on.

Grain mill is one of the best pieces of equipment to buy.

+1
Since I bought my MM2, my mash has been predictable and reliable. I highly recommend buying your own mill. Not to mention FRESH crushed grains, straight from the mill to your mash tun....the smell is heavenly!

I had the same issue with my LHBS and used to demand a double crush. I guess I wasn't the only one with the same problem as they miraculously re-adjusted the rollers on their mill a few months back. Since then, i've been hitting my numbers every time.

Back