Effectiveness of adding dregs to existing sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I pitched 6 gallons of a melomel (6qt blueberry juice, 7 lbs of honey, 1lbs maltodextrin. OG=1.055 [w/o maltodextrin]) onto a Wyeast 3278 cake on February 8, 2016 (a little over 8 months ago as of this post).

Over the last 2 weeks I've added the dregs of a Paradox Skully Barrel no 38 bottle and an Almanac Pumpkin Pie de Brettaville bottle with plans on adding the dregs of some Wicked Weed, Jolly Pumpkin and Crooked Stave over the next couple of weeks.

My question is since the Lambic blend has had quite a bit of time to ferment, how much residual food is there for the dregs? Are they actually going to be able to consume anything to affect the flavor/sourness of the melomel?

My goal is to build up a house sour culture with this melomel that I'll be using for a solera style setup in the future. I also plan on racking all the melomel from the existing glass carboy onto several pounds of blueberries soon and let that sit for a couple months before bottling.

The 3278 is pretty thoroughly packed with bugs that spend a long time chewing away at stuff. There may be a bit of something left to munch on, but at this point the character contribution from all those dregs probably won't be significant. Next batch is a whole different story.

What was the gravity when you pitched the dregs is the question to ask.

I haven't checked the gravity since adding the must to the original yeast/bug cake. I'll have to check and see if the maltodextrin addition has been fully fermented out.

Back