Ed's barn wood keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostEd6

Reaction score
I'm relatively new here in terms of posting. I've done plenty of research and took the plunge on a keezer build. Throughout the process the plans changed many of times. I spent around 20 hours with my grandfather on this build. I have minimal woodworking experience basically the furthest I've gone is installing tongue and groove flooring and baseboard. I sourced some bar wood from a friend whom tore down an old corn crib. I'll throw some progress pictures up and add details as I have time. It started with a 7 cf magic chef chest freezer I purchased on Craigslist locally in the Chicago burbs.

Other supplies include:
1/2" plywood base
3/4" plywood top
2"X6" collar
4x casters from harbor freight
10"x7/8" barn wood siding
2"x8" barn wood beams
Inkbird 1000
Chill passion shanks and stainless handles
Perlick SS flow control faucets

Originally we planned on an Irish coffin build but didn't want to struggle with cooling the shanks and foam in the first few pours so we went with the collar.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785422.908714.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785450.292261.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785484.026653.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785509.197480.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785541.797808.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785563.899365.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458785576.417481.jpg

More to come...

The finished product. Got some use out of it last night. I'm reminded by the headache haha.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458867741.670545.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458867752.388298.jpg

Very cool. I'm planning a bar build in a few weeks. I like the barn wood. I was thinking of using it, but I couldn't visualize it. Now I can. Coincidently I have an old barn on my property.

Are you going to poly the wood, or keep it natural.

Thanks guys. I threw one coat of satin poly on it. I didn't like how much it darkened the wood so I left it at that. I'll get more pics of the mostly finished product. If I were to do it again I'd leave it natural or try a wax. I'd just be worried about spills and staining leaving it natural.

I was on the fence about doing my bar top with barn wood, but I really like the way that looks. Originally, I figured I'd just do the sides and do the top with something else like oak. Did you just screw the boards into a plywood base? Did you use any adhesive? Any issues with warpage?

I was on the fence about doing my bar top with barn wood, but I really like the way that looks. Originally, I figured I'd just do the sides and do the top with something else like oak. Did you just screw the boards into a plywood base? Did you use any adhesive? Any issues with warpage?

We applied rigid insulation to the collar and a plywood top which we measured to sit flush in the collar. We then screwed the barn wood to the plywood creating a 3/4" overhang in front and 8" on each side. The whole keezer sits at 42" (bar height) and is very sturdy.
Edit: no adhesive used and no warpage.

I'm in the process of building something very similar but am using cedar planks instead. The side of my freezer is vented near the compressor. I'm tying to figure out how to accommodate air flow. Will probably drill holes in the wood in that location. Did you have to deal with this and if so how did you address it?

Interesting approach to the lid. I'm retrofitting a wood box over top of the freezer lid.

Most freezers 'breath' through their walls. If the walls are unable to release heat, you'll prematurely burn up the unit.

Generally, you'd want to leave a gap between the freezer walls and the wood frame. This allows for air movement. Many people will put small fans in the gap to keep air moving.

Bump, beer brewing has run its course. Thinking of selling the keezer. Prices are all over the place. What’s a reasonable asking price for something like this?

sorry original build question, did u use original hinges? do you have photo of how it opens

Back