ECY Brett Anomala (ECY04)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I ordered some ECY Brett Anomala (ECY04) today. (Thanks, L2B!) I think I'd like to pitch it as a primary, and also save some for storage.

It appears like there's not a lot of info out there, at least in a quick search. One thread on HBT seems to indicate some thought it was a fruit bomb, and others thought it was a funk bomb. I'd like to use the fresh vial for a primary pitch, but with what I save, down the line I'd like to pitch it as a secondary and age under pressure. Maybe these two methods bring out the fruit vs the funk, respectively.

Does anyone have any experience to share with this strain, either as primary or as secondary?

I don't have much experience with Brett at all. I've done just one saison with Brett B. in secondary, under pressure in a keg. That really came into its own after 6 months, and it's actually carbing just now after pulling some samples recently. If I brew this next batch with the ECY04 as primary, will I still see some development if I let it age under pressure for a few months?

I am planning a simple pale ale with my vial of ECY04. Then I'll save a bunch, and pitch it into a little in here, a little over there. I have a few brett blends that I plan on experimenting with to do side by side comparisons, adding to secondary vs adding at bottling.

Ill be using mine as a bottle conditioning strain to compare to a few other bretts. They will be going in a lacto brevis/ale yeast berliner.

I scored a bottle and I'm confused as to what to try it out in.... Maybe something with an amber or red base and some fruity hops.
Nelson Sauvin maybe? Definitely something with tropical notes... Possibly add some acid malt to the grist too.

Any updates?? Still haven't used it and I'm having a hell of a time locating any information about this strain.

As a primary, the ECY04 was very clean. I'm just drinking it now. There's definitely some fruity esters there. However, I pitched it after kettle souring; given the up-front tartness from that and the rich grist I chose, the yeast is taking a back seat. Nonetheless, I'm happy with it.

I saved a few ml, which I've been meaning to grow up. I think I'm going to pitch some in secondary, or at high krausen, on a saison later this summer. I'll be letting that one age a while, and we'll see what it does with some Sacc to play with.

As a primary ferment, strong fruity esters and mostly clean (couple batches). Good stuff.

Mine went bad on the 3rd generation...and from what I've read, others have experienced the same.

Back