Ebling beer from 1940

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Reaction score
I was looking through an antique store yesterday and found a bottle of beer, unopened with beer in it and even a layer of yeast at the bottom. It was Ebling beer and it was from the 1940's. I didn't buy it because it was 25 bucks. But, I kind of wondered what it would taste like. Maybe this would really be an example of tasting like Satan's ass? Anyway I was curious about it because the label said it was "aged in caves" and found this article. Interesting anyway.

http://www.ediblegeography.com/bronx-beer-caves/

There was another bottle beside it, also unopened. It was New England beer I think, from the Springfield Brewing company. Also, it was from the same time period. It was a clear bottle and boy did the beer look nasty. It also had a black layer of yeast on the bottom and a bunch of nasty rings around the top of the beer level.

I would buy them and give them a try. Have heard of some really old beers (over a hundred years) that tasted amazing.

Do you think the yeast would be cultivatable? I bet those bottles have been sitting around in some crazy hot places. No telling where. It was at least 85 degrees in that store.

Back