EBIAB control panel choice help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow160

Reaction score
I have brewed a few extract batches on my stove top and am planning on making the switch to ebiab. My new kettle will be delivered tomorrow, a Bayou Classic 62qt with basket.

My indecision comes with the control panel, I am going back and forth between designing it around a Auber EZboil vs the Brew Boss DIY controller.

I was hoping I could get the opinions on the pros/cons of each from the community here.

This will be a 240v 5500 watt system.

I will start with saying I just got an EZBoil yesterday and love it! Like any engineering problem, let's start by defining your needs and requirements. For example...

1. 3 or 4 wire 240V input?
2. Pump control?
3. Safety mechanisms (avoid dry firing or running pump dry?)
4. Complete diy or of the shelf?
5. Etc.

Laying out your needs and requirements will make this decision a lot easier. I just got into eBIAB this year and have a simple controller with a EZBoil. My pump control is plugging my pump in to a 120V wall outlet when I need it to run. I am okay with this setup to start. I will most certainly create a nice controller in the future, but I like building my setup slowly and learning over time what works for me. Good luck with yours.

I will be running 4 wire 240v so I can split the 120v off of it for the pump. I am not sure that I am going to run an interlock system. I was planning a main power switch via a contactor and a separate switch for the element and pump.

This will be a DIY project

I have, I am not looking for the wiring schematics right now, I am try to decide what is going to run the system first, the auber ezboil or the brew boss controller. Since I have no experience with either I am trying to get feed back on the benefits of either system. Once I know which will be at the heart of the system I can start dealing the wiring details.

Why did you choose the Auber ?

I chose the Auber EZBoil because of its renowned use. It was designed for brewing. I like the phase angle firing method used without the need to calibrate p, i & d values that trend to overshoot. I never looked into the brew boss option. I was happy with the EZBoil.

Back