• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ebay find - 3 gallon kegs - DIY project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are looking at about $30 minimum in parts to get them functional. This would include a lid, liquid dip tube, gas dip tube, 2 poppets, 2 posts and o-rings. At least the shipping is free. Not worth the money in my eyes. I'm not trying to slam the post I just know how some people are quick to pull the trigger on 3 gallon kegs.

More and more it seems new 3 gallon kegs are the way to go unless you luck into a good find.

Yeah - but if you've got some 5 gallon kegs to strip for parts- it's still cheaper than new.

I do agree you have to look at these as NOT complete & needing work. If you don't already have the parts (and a tubing cutter) on hand, you would probably be better off looking at something else.

I actually have 3 bad kegs that I could strip the parts off of and I still don't think I'd give $55 plus shipping for one of those.

Edit - looked at the auction again.... It includes shipping and he says their in great shape. I might get one.

You are looking at about $30 minimum in parts to get them functional. This would include a lid, liquid dip tube, gas dip tube, 2 poppets, 2 posts and o-rings. At least the shipping is free. Not worth the money in my eyes. I'm not trying to slam the post I just know how some people are quick to pull the trigger on 3 gallon kegs.

More and more it seems new 3 gallon kegs are the way to go unless you luck into a good find.

At $55 for the shell plus another $30 for parts you would have the least expensive brand new 3 gallon kegs going. How in the world is that not worth it when they go for $100+ brand new and they are very difficult to find on the used market?

I bought one. I already have the parts from another bad keg to rebuild it (including the correct bottom and handle). Now I'll have two of these and I can fit them both into my wheeled cooler for mini keg parties!

I have all the parts to make them work but the bottoms. I suppose you could pour something for a base, or maybe just glue on 3 rubber feet?

I could be wrong, but I think that the bottom of that keg would fit inside a gallon milk jug. Fill the gallon jug with some material, set the keg inside it, and let it set. Remove the gallon jug.

Just a though.

M_C
I have all the parts to make them work but the bottoms. I suppose you could pour something for a base, or maybe just glue on 3 rubber feet?

Looks like a good deal except the bottom. Rather not have to make a stand

I keep two in my portable kegerator and they're packed so tight that I don't think I'd miss the bottoms. But $55 is a bit much.

At $55 for the shell plus another $30 for parts you would have the least expensive brand new 3 gallon kegs going. How in the world is that not worth it when they go for $100+ brand new and they are very difficult to find on the used market?

These aren't brand new kegs he is selling. My estimate of $30 is a rather low estimate for the amount you would spend for the parts needed. Granted if you have extra parts you could make a Frankenstein keg but it's unlikely you got all of those parts for free either. You are then dealing with a keg with no bottom once it it put together. To some the lack of a bottom dosen't matter but it is still a compromise compared to a new keg.

I think you can definitely make these work and you could save some money compared to buying new. If they work for people and they like them awesome. I just don't think it's a steal or great buy.

If anyone is looking for 3 gallon kegs rebelbrewer carries new 3 gallon kegs for a great price.
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/3-Gallon-%22Ball%252dLock%22-Kegs-%252d-New.html

These aren't brand new kegs he is selling. My estimate of $30 is a rather low estimate for the amount you would spend for the parts needed. Granted if you have extra parts you could make a Frankenstein keg but it's unlikely you got all of those parts for free either. You are then dealing with a keg with no bottom once it it put together. To some the lack of a bottom dosen't matter but it is still a compromise compared to a new keg.

I think you can definitely make these work and you could save some money compared to buying new. If they work for people and they like them awesome. I just don't think it's a steal or great buy.
I agree, if you had to buy all the extra parts, it's not such a good deal. Fortunately, I have a bad keg that is the same style - handle, bottom, lid, dip tubes & posts. The only things I'll have to do is cut the dip tube and re-glue the bottom onto the 3 gallon one. For anyone with the parts in hand, it's still a good deal.

I agree, if you had to buy all the extra parts, it's not such a good deal. Fortunately, I have a bad keg that is the same style - handle, bottom, lid, dip tubes & posts. The only things I'll have to do is cut the dip tube and re-glue the bottom onto the 3 gallon one. For anyone with the parts in hand, it's still a good deal.

Yeah if you can make it work out with the parts you have. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back