Easy fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for a mini-fridge to chill my fermenting carboys in, but nothing small really fit. Then I saw one of those Redbull "can-shaped coolers" and thought it might work...

Lo and behold, it's a perfect fit! They fit both my 6gal "wide" carboys, as well as the 6.5gal "tall" carboys.

I'm really excited about this and can't wait for my next brew: Da Yopper's House Pale that needs to ferment @62°f.

Here are a few things they have going for them:
* they fit my primary carboys without much extra dead space.
* they are insulated.
* they are commercial grade, so can be left outside without the compressors freezing up.
* they have a built in circulation fan.
* they have caster wheels.

There are just a few minor mods needed:
* instead of the stock wire rack, I'll use a few 4×4 scraps to hold the carboy off the raised fan housing.
* I'll cut a hole in the lit to accommodate a blowoff tube. And maybe a couple of notches for the inkbird probe and the heat-belt cord.

What did this cost me? $78 total
* cooler: $25 (yes this was a steal of a deal and in mint condition)
* heater: $25 carboy heater-wrap
* Controller: $28 inkbird ITC-308

If you're seen this before, let me know. I'm curious why these are not more commonly used.

Cheers!
20190102_174027.jpeg
20190102_174105.jpeg
20190102_174048.jpeg
20190102_174122.jpeg

I have a very similar chiller that was formerly a rockstar fridge. Fits one fermonster perfectly but I used an inverted baking pan to support the fermenter which blocked the fan from circulating, which lead to a buildup of moisture and mold growing in the fermenter spigot. I managed to spray it out with bleach and then with starsan to safely transfer the beer to my bottling bucket, but I'm a bit leery about using it again until i source a suitable false bottom to support the fermenter while allowing the fan to function as intended. I'm going to order a stainless false bottom from brewhardware.com which i believe will solve all my problems.

I have a very similar chiller that was formerly a rockstar fridge. Fits one fermonster perfectly but I used an inverted baking pan to support the fermenter which blocked the fan from circulating, which lead to a buildup of moisture and mold growing in the fermenter spigot. I managed to spray it out with bleach and then with starsan to safely transfer the beer to my bottling bucket, but I'm a bit leery about using it again until i source a suitable false bottom to support the fermenter while allowing the fan to function as intended. I'm going to order a stainless false bottom from brewhardware.com which i believe will solve all my problems.
I just places 3 scrap 4×4 blocks in the bottom. They support my 6.5 gal carboy just above the fan box

Back