Easy Clean sanatizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich71093

Reaction score
I got an 8oz. jar of Easy Clean by L.D. Carlson with my brewing kit. Is this just a cleaner, or is it a sanitizer? Everything I can find on the net says it is a cleaner, nothing said about sanitizing. The guy at the shop where I got the kit says it will sanitize with a two minute contact time. Anyone have any experience with it?

It is not a sanitizer cleaner only, you need a proper sanitizer ie: Star San, iodophor, or bleach if nothing else

Easy Clean used to be considered a sanitizer... now it is considered a cleaner. It will work fine, as many here can attest to, but StarSan is so much better. When you run out, think about getting some OxiClean for a cleaner, and StarSan as a sanitizer.

not only has my lhbs owner told me its both a cleaner and sanitizer, but when I called the company, they confirmed it does both and its bad marketing not to indicate so. I have been using it for sanitizing for well over a year with NO problems.

I use PBW and StarSan. But until recently I only used StarSan and no actual cleanser. I just washed with water +/- StarSan as soon as I finished using anything.

I have not had an infection. IMHO infections are rare and mainly the result of lapses in technique. But I think they can also occur randomly despite all best intentions and techniques. All you can do is follow the rules and trust that 99% of the time you'll be fine.

I remember, I think from Palmer???, that there are cleansers that are also sanitizers but have not gone through the process and fees involved with being deemed a sanitizer as well. In these cases you are just fine using them as both but you can't hold them liable if you get an infection. Not that you would get very far with StarSan if you got an infection either...

not only has my lhbs owner told me its both a cleaner and sanitizer, but when I called the company, they confirmed it does both and its bad marketing not to indicate so. I have been using it for sanitizing for well over a year with NO problems.

My LHBS assured me that it is a sanitizer, but the word "sanitizer" is FDA regulated and very very expensive to write on your product. So It's not so much bad marketing as it is being a cheapskate.

EDIT: My LHBS also told me that once it has been mixed into a solution, it is only good for 3 hours, after that it must be thrown out.

Regarding the 3 hour comment, a company rep told me its good for up to a week when I asked that specific question. I have used a 5 gal mixture 5 days after mixing with no obvious negative effects. Now I am skeptical, who to believe?

Back