Easy Clean as sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordrath1069

Reaction score
Howdy tigers? Noobie here. Does Easy Clean work as a sanitizer or do I still need to use something like Star San? If I do, what is the point of using Easy Clean?

Northern Brewer says its a cleanser. I'd still want to use a sanitizer. I don't totally trust no rinse sanitizer.

Moo.

In my opinion, you want to use something like PBW or Oxyclean .......(or easy clean maybe) for cleaning and soaking equipment. Then rinse it. ***Not sure what easy clean is.... I think it is more a cleaner than a sanitizer though.

You want to then sanitize with Star San right before use and don't rinse it.

Northernbrewer says it is a no-rinse cleanser. Personally, I wouldn't trust a no-rinse cleanser. Is it supposed to be a 2in1 Cleanser/Sanitizer? I've always heard to not use the 2in1 products. You want 2 steps..cleaning (then rinsing) then sanitizing. I always use PBW for cleaning, then rinse everything, and sanitize in StarSan. StarSan is a no-rinse acid-based sanitizer. Works great. I have experience with IoSan as well, but I prefer StarSan, as the iodine based sanitizers can really stain plastic equipment.

It is a cleaner but can be used as a weak sanitizer assuming that you use as directed.
It doesn't work much different from oxyclean; the big difference is that it does not leave a soda ash residue behind like oxyclean allowing them to market it as a no-rinse cleaner.
When combined with water it creates hydrogen peroxide that cleans and disinfects.
Keep in mind that they do not market it as a sanitizer; likely because it doesn't meet the same standards as StarSan or Iodophor.
If you insist in using it I would suggest to keep your contact time pretty long and make sure all the bits dissolve well; soak for 5-10 minutes.

StarSan requires just a few seconds of contact time, does not harm equipment, last forever, and can be reused over and over; I personally use this as my primary sanitizer.
For a cleaner I use homemade PBW: 3:1 ratio of Oxyclean to industrial grade TSP. This stuff dissolves organic compounds.

Latest posts

Back