Easy apple raspberry cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overG

Reaction score
Just sitting in the hospital with my wife in labor and thought I would share this recipe that I brewed up and just kegged. Gotta pass the time some way...
-Eight 1/2 gallon jugs (64 oz each) of cheap store brand apple juice (no preservatives)
-One 1/2 gallon jug (64 oz) of cheap store brand apple raspberry juice (no preserv.)
-Two pounds of light brown sugar
-Red star champagne yeast

I mixed the brown sugar with 3 cups of water to disolve and brought to an initial boil. Put the above juice in a bucket and then tossed in the disolved brown sugar. Sprinkled in dry champagne yeast and let sit 16 days at about 68 degrees.

After fermentation siphoned to a keg and back sweetened with -One 1/2 gallon jug store brand apple raspberry juice
-One 12oz bottle of smuckers boysenberry syrup

Shook the $ hit out of the keg and hooked it up.
Results:
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.000 (prior to back sweeting)
First taste after 1 day in keg was actually pretty good. Somewhat dry cider with a mild to medium berry taste. Little strong on the alcohol (around 7%) but not to bad. I would definitely make this again to mix things up from the standard ciders I have made.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Home Brew mobile app

has it only been one day? how long from dissolving the sugar to the keg?

congrats on the new born?

Its been kegged for 3 days now. I put the dissolved brown sugar in with the 4 and 1/2 gallons of juice right away to ferment. I really didnt even let it cool.

No new born yet. This has turned into one heck of a waiting game.

Congrats on the little one...whenever they decide to show up...your cider sounds tasty, maybe repost it in the cider forum? :p

No worries, you've got enough on your mind...went through the birth of my first kid back in January :)

Keep me posted.

I'm debating the possibility of my first 5 gallon cider. I've made a one gallon apfelwein and a handful of 5 gallons beer brews. The waiting after it finishes fermenting is my problem!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Had a couple glasses last night and it was great. If anything I would have cut the brown sugar down to one pound, but its still tastey.

Back