Easiest style of larger to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telecasterdc

Reaction score
I've brewed several different types of ales, and a couple of California Commons that have turned out nicely.

I recently purchased a freezer that I can use for lagering. What type of lager would be good for a first attempt? I'd like to try something where my chances for success are high.

Thanks for any advice,
Craig

If you have all the materials. A basic pilsner is probably the simplest because it only has 4 ingredients. Water hops malt yeast.
Nothing fancy. Just something to practice with.

I'm thinking about doing my first lager, as well. I'll use 34/70 yeast to give me room for error. I understand its very forgiving.

Munich Dunkels are probably the easiest to do a decent job of.
Festbiers are easy too, as they can run the gamut of ingredients, colors, strengths, etc. Similarly,
I would respectfully disagree that a Pils is an easy first lager. Light, simple grist beers like that are actually very challenging to do well, as there is nothing for flaws to hide behind.
In fact, Pilsners, Helles and Kolsch are probably the most difficult styles to do well.

I'm thinking about doing my first lager, as well. I'll use 34/70 yeast to give me room for error. I read its very forgiving.

It is probably the most versatile and forgiving lager yeast, but you still should pitch plenty of it (a starter or several packets if not making a starter).

Munich Dunkels are probably the easiest to do a decent job of.
Festbiers are easy too, as they can run the gamut of ingredients, colors, strengths, etc. Similarly,
I would respectfully disagree that a Pils is an easy first lager. Light, simple grist beers like that are actually very challenging to do well, as there is nothing for flaws to hide behind.
In fact, Pilsners, Helles and Kolsch are probably the most difficult styles to do well.

Gotta agree with this. There is no room to hide with a Pilsner. Any little flaw will be exposed.

Took me 5 batches to get my pilsner to the point I was proud of it. Definitely start with something darker with a bit more flavour. Dunkel, Vienna lager or schwarzbier would be my pick.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll try a sturdy Oktoberfest based on what I'm reading here. I'll make it strong enough that it will cover up any flaws I'm sure to have this first time.

Aim low on the FG. 1.050 is a great place to be with lagers.

There is even less to hide behind in a lager so keep everything in moderation. Lager styles require a bit more finesse to do well than ales. You can do this but take this suggestion seriously.

34/70 is a great lager yeast!
I just tried this yeast for a light lager and fermented at 67 for 2weeks and its tastes great carbed up.

Latest posts

Back