Earthy off-flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radtek

Reaction score
Just kegged up 7 gallons of an AG Blonde ale after one month in primary. Used fresh pack of S-04 at 68F. After 7 days pulled it out of the chilled fermentation chamber, but kept it in the cool room. We've been having unbelievable scorching temps and the "cool room" probably got into the upper 70's during the afternoon during the last month. Subsequently the brew has a slight solvent note to it. I thought it would be safe after 7 days since kreusen had dropped after 3...

The solventyness prolly will work itself out but what is most disturbing is an earthy dirty taste to the brew. I've tasted this before (last summer). What could this be? I don't like it. What would have been an acceptable brew (not perfect) is marred by this dirt flavor.

I saw no evidence of mold... Could it be oxidation? Something to do with the temps?

I'm on the fence considering pouring it out.

I've found a couple of good sites on off-flavors, which have helped me narrow down what the ultimate culprit is on my ales. Check out Palmer's How To Brew - List of Off Flavors for a start.

Depending upon what you mean as 'earthly', it could be a mold, or more likely just some oxidizing and by-products of a high-temp fermentation. Many times, just storing for an extra month or two can improve the beer quite a bit.

Hope it turns out well in a few months!:mug:
--LexusChris

I used a proven recipe grain-wise. Upon inspection I remember Perle was from last summer and had sat in my fridge. I was getting rid of them. I'm wondering if it was the Perle...?

Blonde_ale_perle.jpg

Perle hops will contribute an earthy character to your beer. It could very well be the hops. If so, this will eventually fade. It should make your beer taste better knowing your probably tasting hops and not an off flavor though.

Ahh... I guess a taste must be developed for this then. I got about 14 gal of the stuff.

Overshot my gravity and still hit my numbers on the nose. That's what I get for closing up the gap after 1 1/2 years!

Back