Duvel of a thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntgraphite

Reaction score
With all due respect to Brandon O's Graff, here is yet another variant on the same theme.

Recipe Type: All Grain and Cider
Yeast: WLP-570
Batch Size (Gallons): 7 - 4 of wort, 3 of cider
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 25.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2.3
Primary Fermentation 14 days at 67f
Secondary Fermentation 10 days at 62f
Tasting Notes: Dry, slightly spicy, good clean belgian flavor. Crisp. Refreshing. Thin body, apple flavor comes through. Much more like a dry ephemere than (shudder) Redd's. Hints of tannin in the finish, balanced between the hops and the apple.

7# Golden Promise
1 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 30m
1l Starter of WLP-570 yeast (approx 230B cells)
45s of pure O2
3G of local, organic cider - Russet/Burbank mix

Mashed the beer at 152 for 75m. Ran to the boil, through the chiller, mixed with the cider, oxygenated, then pitched. Nice, vigorous ferment.

I briefly considered filtering it to keep the sweetness, because the first and second gravity samples were quite delicious with some residual sugar; but I'm glad I didn't, because the dried out product has a great flavor to it.

You may wonder why I didn't go with FCAJ or something similar, like Brandon O's original recipe. First, I don't really like what I tend to get when I run a cider with apple juice instead of cider. I guess that means I prefer scrumpy to cider. Whatever. The belgian yeast really liked the mix, and lent some nice flavors.

If you get something similar to Acetaldehyde in the nose, it's really just apples. I blogged about this here although my hatred for SAB MillerCoors may have come through strongly.

belgraff-1.jpg

So did you make 7 gallons of wort and add that to the 3 gallons of cider for a 10 gallon total batch?

Ahh. I made 4 gallons of wort, added to 3 of cider for a total of 7. I've corrected the first post to reflect that.

Back