Dusseldorf Altbier - Yorkshire yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diegobonatto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm thinking in to use a Yorkshire Square Yeast Ale to ferment a Dusseldorf Altbier in the lower temperature range (60 F). I known that the best is to use an Alt yeast or some other neutral ale yeast, but I understand that the profile for this beer is a malty driven aroma and flavor, which can be improved by Yorkshire yeast.
Opinions?

Altbier should be clean, with a dry finish - I've never used Yorkshire, but no, in my opinion it WON'T improve altbier. Altbier should have a malty nose, but a smooth, bitter, clean finish is definitional. On the other hand, it's your beer. What do I know?

I have used the Yorkshire Square yeast in two brews - an ESB and a Northern English Brown. Both have had to have an extended aging due to the VERY fruity/estery flavors. They are starting to come into their own, but it has been an extra 6/4 weeks to get them more drinkable. I had good temp control, too.

Just one person's experience.

I've had the same experience as triletter. It is a very esthery fruity yeast. Not what you want in an alt bier.

Any specific reason for that? Better profile with 036?

It tends toward a dry, malty character whereas Koelsch yeast has more of a neutral, bright character. Plus Koelsch yeast is very finicky to work with. Change the temp on it or let it rise a couple of degrees too high, and it produces inappropriate fruitiness.

Back