Dunkelweizen Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daweez04

Reaction score
Looking to make a winter Dunkelweizen. This is what I have come up with so far.

I am using sterling for bittering because I got 10 lbs for free from a hop farm (just to get that out of the way when it is brought up that it doesn't fit the style)

Any additions or subtractions?

Ingredients

3 lbs Munich Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 30.0 %
6 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 60.0 %
8.0 oz Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 5.0 %
0.75 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.4 IBUs

I would drop the late addition and bump the bittering addition to 1 oz. Hop flavor and aroma are inappropriate for the style. Other than that, you're looking good. Good luck! :mug:

If it's not going to be a Bavarian style wheat the Cascade addition is fine. If you're fermenting with something like Wyeast 3068 or WLP 300, you traditional don't add any late hop additions.

Right now your wheat percent is about 33%, generally you want to shoot for at least 50%. If your wanting to use all extract it's not going to happen if you want to include the Munich. In which case I might cut back the Munich to 1 lb and bump up the wheat extract. The ideal way would be to mash about 2 lbs Munich with 2 lbs Wheat.

I would also cut the Chocolate in half and add about 4 oz of dark crystal. Something in the 120-150 lovi range. That will get you closer to a dunkelweizen but you can certainly leave it alone if you want the roast flavor more like a brown ale.

If you're fermenting with something like Wyeast 3068 or WLP 300, you traditional don't add any late hop additions.

i was going to do a recipe with 3068 and had planned on late hop additions. why is this a bad idea? (i'm less concerned with style guidelines than i am the taste) thanks.

i was going to do a recipe with 3068 and had planned on late hop additions. why is this a bad idea?

Usually when you use 3068/300 you're looking for those esters that define a Bavarian Hef without it competing with late hop additions.

If want to add some late noble hops that's pretty safe. I wouldn't use something like Cascade.

Back