Duncan's Malcontent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
1L for 3338
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 60°
Tasting Notes
Malt forward.
[size=+2]Duncan's Malcontent 70/- [/size]
[size=+1]9-B Scottish Heavy 70/-[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/12/09

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 65%
Calories: 134.54 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.040 (1.035 - 1.040)
|=======================#========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
|====================#===========|
Color: 16.22 (9.0 - 17.0)
|======================#=========|
Alcohol: 3.4% (3.2% - 3.9%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 17.0 (10.0 - 25.0)
|===============#================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
6.5 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
.5 lb Munich Malt
0.5 lb British Dark Crystal
3 oz Caramel Malt 120L
2.0 oz Pale Chocolate
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 2.44 gal; Strike: 167.66 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:03:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 152.0 °F
01:03:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 3.08 gal sparge @ 178 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 3.08 gal sparge @ 178 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.87 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

Didn't you start a thread about this one a little while back? Looks good, I still love the name:rockin:

Didn't you start a thread about this one a little while back?

Yep, back when I was looking for critiques on the recipe. It's on tap now, and I can't say I'd change anything at this stage. I'm sending a couple out in a swap so I'm hoping to get some in-depth reviews.

Looks good, I still love the name:rockin:

Word. :rockin:

Would using Crystal 60 be an ok sub?

I think that will be just fine, though 80L would work nicely too. Brew on!

The yeast choice is very important here; you want something clean with lower attenuation.

Scottish ales are all about the malt, so no flavor or aroma additions or fruity yeast strains.

I dont have a planned date.... but I make a solid goal of keeping my next 3-4 batches planned out. since MDHB (the closest) is 35 min from me.

I was hoping to have it for summer (everything else I brew turns out imperial like my 6.4% imperial wit) sO I need something to enjoy on a nice 95^ and humid DC day!

but that would be great :) Ill get the 60 and use it for something else if the cards turn out that I dont brew it before may 16 :D

Ugh, this is going too fast, its everyones fav! now I have to brew more :'(

I need to brew another batch myself (possibly 10 gallons) and I may experiment with the formulation again just for fun, eliminating all the specialty grain except a bit of roasted barley for color adjustment and boil down the first runnings to achieve the caramel presence in 5 gallons, and use the recipe as written above in the other 5 gallons.

Historically, Scottish ales used only Pale Malt and Roasted Barley in the grist. The caramel flavor and aroma came from technique, not ingredients.

Greg Noonan's book on Scottish ales is most excellent reading.

would cascade hops be ok for this recipe instead of goldings? my buddy grows his own and has more cascades than he can use!

Because the bittering addition is the only place for hops in the recipe, I would say Cascade could work. However, unless you pony up for the mass spectrometer testing, the AA% of the Cascades from your buddy is an unknown - could be 3%, could be 5%, who knows? As such, those Cascades would be better used for flavoring, aroma or dry-hopping in recipes that call for them.

Good luck!

flyangler, have you re-brewed the version 2.0 of this one yet using the traditional boil down? interested to hear about it. cheers

flyangler, have you re-brewed the version 2.0 of this one yet using the traditional boil down? interested to hear about it. cheers

I have, as a matter of fact!

I boil enough to reduce the first runnings by half and compensate with my sparge to hit my preboil volume.

To my palate, it adds a deeper, more robust caramel/toffee character than what the specialty grains add.

:mug:

that's awesome man. definately on my brew list. I've got a brew day for three beers planned next friday, this will be on the next to do list. you've got great recipes

that's awesome man. definately on my brew list. I've got a brew day for three beers planned next friday, this will be on the next to do list. you've got great recipes

I live to please. :D

Make sure to ferment cool and use the Scottish Ale yeast. While this is a session beer and can be turned pretty quickly, it benefits from a period of cold conditioning.

Good luck!

Alternate recipe:

Duncan's Malcontent 70/-
9-B Scottish Heavy 70/-
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/12/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 65%
Calories: 130.65 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.039 (1.035 - 1.040)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 15.49 (9.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 3.3% (3.2% - 3.9%)
Bitterness: 14.5 (10.0 - 25.0)

Ingredients:
8 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
3.0 oz Roast Barley
1.0 ea WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale
1.75 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added first wort, boiled 20 min

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 3.0 gal; Strike: 170.44 °F; Target: 158.0 °F
01:03:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 156.0 °F
01:03:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 2.82 gal sparge @ 178 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.82 gal sparge @ 178 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.87 gal

Notes
You will notice that there are no specialty malts in the grists; caramel/toffee character is developed by boiling down a portion (approx 1 gallon) of the first runnings long enough to reduce by half. Color can be difficult to predict, so you may have to experiment with varying amounts of roasted barley over subsequent batches to find the perfect percentage.

Alternate recipe (traditional kettle caramelization technique); I've come to the conclusion that reducing the entire volume of the first runnings by half is probably excessive, particularly for those brewers who are mashing thin (2+ qt/lb). In order to make this easily accessible for all, I recommend boiling down a gallon of the first runnings. I tend to mash at the conventional 1.25 quarts/lb, but adjust my strike volumes to get nice round volume measurements into the tun. I also find that FWH Fuggles blends very well with the rich malt character while still remaining within style guidelines.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

right on time flyangler. I was just starting to try to figure this out in software so I can order my next grain bill soon. Thanks for the post. To be redundant, your recipes are great.

Back