Dumping trub and dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Spike CF-5 (2” dump port). Dumping trub and dry hops remains a challenge. I’ve tried slow & fast opening of the butterfly valve, dumping under 8 psi pressure as well as no pressure, tried various temps from 50 to 70 degrees F, I’ve taken a rubber mallet and tapped on the conical and elbow to help drop the solids. Can’t seem to dump the solids without losing lots of liquid. I attach a straight, 5/8” barbed TC fitting and a 18” piece of 1/2” ID silicone tubing to the dump port. The butterfly valve is connected to the elbow in the horizontal position and I open it up so the bottom half of the butterfly gate opens towards the exit. With only 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, I hate pouring off more liquid than I have to. Does anyone have a workable solution?

Last time I used the bottom port to drop yeast/trub/etc. it was using a yeast brink setup form NorCal Brewing Solutions connected to a mason jar. I hit it with a couple of PSI of CO2 (purged a bit) so that it would slow down the infux. Seemed to work well.

From more recent batches, though, I've not bothered to drop unless I want to harvest yeast before the batch is packaged. I simply use the racking arm rotated to extract clear beer. IMO, you'd need a LOT of hops, and such, in the conical before that didn't work.

Back