Dumping a wheat beer that's too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palefire

Reaction score
Ok, so after 19 batches, I'm actually thinking about breaking protocol and dumping one ...

Brewed an AG dunkelweizen a few months ago - the first wheat beer I've brewed (pretty standard recipe). 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks in bottle before drinking. Came out delicious. Exactly what I was shooting for. Couldn't get enough. Wasn't SWMBO's favorite, though, so I ended up being the only one here drinking it. Plus the pipeline was pretty full, so I wasn't drinking it all the time.

Here's the problem ... I have about 18 or so bottles left. But after a few months, it's starting to taste kinda bad. A little watery, but more like the flavors just kind of fell apart. I can still stomach it - I've certainly drunk far worse things in my life - but I have a bunch of other beers sitting around and I'd rather drink them if given the choice.

So, my question is: I know wheat beers can go bad after a short period of time - is 3 months from brewing about right? And if so, has anyone else broken down and dumped theirs? I mean, unlike other beers for which age can cure many problems, I don't see this one getting any better. Should I just call it lesson learned (the lesson being: drink your wheat beers quickly)? Hate to dump, but there are those precious taste buds to consider...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

So far I have kept mine for much longer and have not noticed anything bad happen to them. While on topic can I jump in and ask WHY wheat beers are subject to this? They are all grains right?

I will be the first to say go ahead and dump it, if you dont like the taste why hoarde something you dont care to drink? I would rather put the empties to use in a new batch than holding something that you have reservations about drinking.
makes me think of my wife opening up a tupperware container long forgotten in the fridge and taking a whiff, making a "thats gross" face, putting the lid back on it and putting it back in the fridge again.

I used to subscribe to the school that governs that under no circumstances should a homebrew be dumped (save for infection). The more I brew though, the more I begin to realize that it's not worth the trouble choking down a beer that isn't as good as it could be. If I've got other, better, beers in the pipeline, or I need the bottles, then a bad batch will get dumped (something I'm gonna have to do soon).

When I make big batches of chili, and don't eat it all before it goes bad, I don't have a huge problem with throwing the rest away, same thing applies here. I've got plenty of good beer to drink, and if I only allow myself to drink a pint or two a day, I'm gonna go with the good ones.

I have no problem with dumping a bad batch. Why drink something you don't like. I have a bottle of Freshops hop extract and sometimes a few drops will really turn a bad beer into something good. You might give that a try, otherwise dump.

A wheat beer will only get worse over time.

I say dump it.

Life is too short to drink less than great beer.

Eric

I think we are in the same boat regarding the wheat beer. I have half a keg that kind of sucked in September. I have a feeling that aging it did not help... only one way to find out.

I would dump it, cook with it, or make bread with it.

Other than that, forget it - it is not going to recover any time soon.

Wow - dump, baby, dump! Never thought I'd hear that from so many HBT'ers ... :p

Seriously, thanks everyone for the advice.

If you need the bottles then dump it. If not, I would save several and see what happens over time. I love pulling out old beers to see what has happened to them. I've got lots of wheats that are over a year old. They aren't as good as they were fresh, but almost all of them are still worth drinking. I had a brown ale that went from awesome to bad in about a month of being in the keg. I bottled it because I needed the keg and I'm just now getting around to drinking it after 6 months and it tastes much better than when I bottled it, so you never know.

I went through this same process with the one batch of hefe that I brewed - my only wheat beer ever. Wheats are a special case - unlike barleys, they won't keep getting better, and while I choked mine down, I would never make that mistake again, especially because there's a place ten minutes from my house with Paulener hefe on tap.

Life's too short to drink bad beer!

Agree. Think about beer logistics - a 5-gallon brew means two cases. Outside of homebrewing I never hear of anyone buying two cases of one kind of beer. If you have more in the pipeline and it was cheap to make, why keep 30+ beers you don't like?

Save a few for cooking/breadmaking, or give some to friends, but other than that, it's not worth it. You can also make 2-3 gallon wheat brews if you can never make it through a full batch.

Latest posts

Back