Dumb Question From Newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
If I were to buy the linked all grain equipment kit, would I also need to buy a kettle? Obviously, my 5 gallon extract kettle would not do the trick. But could I just use the hot liquor tank as the kettle? I suppose I'd have to collect the wort from the lauter tun and save it till the sparge is complete before pouring it the collected wort back into the hot liquor tank... Would this work? Dumb idea?

Thanks!

10 Gallon All Grain Commercial Quality Kettle Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I would think you could use the hlt for your kettle. After all that is what it is with a valve stuck in it..... But I am new to all grain also.

Good luck,
Micki

Not such a dumb question at all. Yes, you could use it. However, as you've noticed you'd have to save all the liquids up in a 3rd container and then put them in the HLT for the boil. Not sure this is the most economical way to do this though. Have you added up the individual prices of an HLT, a cooler mash tun and a boil kettle? Actually, this probably isn't a bad price, but if you added a cooler in there yu could use the two pots as HLT and boil kettle and the cooler as the mash tun, saving some time I think.

Back