dumb question about hole saws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
I don't really have much experience with hole saws, but i need one to drill my fridge door. I stopped by home depot tonight, but the only 1 inch saw i could find said 'not for metal or plastic'. For the minimal thickness of the fridge door, does this matter or is there a specific kind i should find?

know it's dumb, but thanks.

I don't really have much experience with hole saws, but i need one to drill my fridge door. I stopped by home depot tonight, but the only 1 inch saw i could find said 'not for metal or plastic'. For the minimal thickness of the fridge door, does this matter or is there a specific kind i should find?

know it's dumb, but thanks.

It's probably a wood hole saw, you need a metal one.:) Do NOT use a wood one it will jack up the fridge.

It'll work... but it's not right. The key will be to keep it straight, and have a good bit inside it guide you. But yes, it'll cut through a freezer lid.

yeah, i figured it was a wood saw, but didn't know if it would work for the small thickness of the fridge door. I'll check the other local hardware store tomorrow.

If it a wood bit (has a point and then straight to 1" with a blade) it will trash the fridge. If it is just a big 1" straight bit, it will work...

This is what you meant, right?
1c2835f723d7e247c09b4ebe6a3468c1.jpg

...because, if not, and you meant a spade bit like this...
spade-bit-432.jpg

Then no, it won't work.

This is what you meant, right?
1c2835f723d7e247c09b4ebe6a3468c1.jpg
The first image is the type of saw i was looking at, but the packaging said for wood only. I figure they make them for metal, but couldn't see one on my quick trip down the tool aisle.

The first image is the type of saw i was looking at, but the packaging said for wood only. I figure they make them for metal, but couldn't see one on my quick trip down the tool aisle.

99% of the cheaper ones of these that you see will be intended for wood... though bi-metal options are available, and even better, a step drill (as mentioned above) is more ideal. However, like I said. A good hold... a good guide... and it will work. I've done similar many times. But, if it were me, I'd probably even clamp a piece of scrap plywood to the fridge first... then cut through through both at the same time.

Overall... if you're only going to use it once, you can probably find one of these way cheaper (even if it's meant only for wood) than a step drill. Especially a good one.

Yeah, it's not meant for metal, but buying a cheap one to drill a single hole then toss, just buy the cheapest for wood or metal you see. After cutting through the metal, it wouldn't really be suitable for cutting wood well.

I know a step bit will work, but the hole saw hop-head posted is like the one that BYO said to use in their kegerator issue.

What are the chances i can get three holes out of a bit like that? I am not so much worried about ruining the bit, i just want to make sure i'm not going to tear up the fridge too much.

Yes, you'll get three holes (and probably more) out of it for the thin metal you're cutting.... but I can't stress a good guide enough. A loose hold and it'll wander.

Or, look for a bi-metal version... they're available for a bit more coin.

Like anything, it's not the right tool for the job, but sometimes cheaper works. It's kind of like using a crescent wrench.... I hate 'em. They're sloppy and rarely produce a good hold. But sometimes, they're easier to carry than a set of wrenches.... or in your case, good enough, since it's cheaper than a whole set. You just need to be prepared to take the extra precautions.

I used the cheapest wood hole saw on an old fridge kegerator and drilled 3 holes without any problems. YMMV - obviously a bi-metal hole saw will give you use beyond that one time event.

Back