Dumb bottling mistake: Looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrood

Reaction score
Ok, like the title says, I made a pretty stupid error while bottling Friday night. As usual, I boiled 3/4 cup dextrose in a pint of water and poured the cooled bottling solution into my empty bottling bucket. I then began to siphon my lager into the bucket containg said solution. All was going well until I came to the realization that the spigot was open on the bottling bucket, and my living room carpet was quickly becoming soaked with beer.
As my options were limited at that point, I quickly closed the spigot and continued transfering the brew and bottled. I estimate I lost ~3 liters.

The spigot is 1.5 - 2" off the bottom of the bottling bucket, and I have no way to determine exactly how much bottling solution was lost (maybe all).

So...my question is do I wait a few weeks and check for proper carbonation, or do I uncap now, add dextrose and recap? I have a couple bags of Cooper's priming drops, and adding them and recapping would be easy, but I am wary of creating bottle bombs.

Any guidance from those smarter than myself?

wait and check a bottle or two in a few weeks. i'd rather do that as opposed to adding more sugar now just because and ending up all overcarbed/bottle bombs

That is a tough one. My best (see safest) bet would be pour all your bottled beer vlery carefully back into the fermenter and let it sit for a week with the normal airlock. This will allow all the sugar to ferment out. Then you have to rebottle. It is a pain in the ass, but the only way I can think of to get proper carbonation in all the bottles without risking bombs.

Relax...I've done the same thing before....my beers carbed fine...

In the future though you might consider putting half your solution in the bucket, then adding the remainder when half the beer is racked on top of it.

That is a tough one. My best (see safest) bet would be pour all your bottled beer vlery carefully back into the fermenter and let it sit for a week with the normal airlock. This will allow all the sugar to ferment out. Then you have to rebottle. It is a pain in the ass, but the only way I can think of to get proper carbonation in all the bottles without risking bombs.

i would've suggested this if the beer was still in the bottling bucket, but at this point it's a MAJOR hassle...
my vote is to just let them be for now. i bet they'll be alright.

Thanks for the advice gents, I considered pouring the bottles back into the secondary, but would certainly risk aerating the beer. So if after a few weeks the beer fails to carbonate I think I'll throw a coopers drop in each and give it another go. Thanks

Latest posts

Back