dumb AL pot question in seek of a smart answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
I'm picking up an AL pot today (hopefully if they're in stock) for my first brew. I know I need to boil water in the pot for ~30 min to build up the oxide layer, but can I use that water for my brew? Or should I play it safe and use fresh?

I wouldn't. For you water you should used purified water from the store or if you have a Brita filter, use that. But, if you water tastes good to you at home it is fairly safe to use that water. If you taste a lot of cholorine and other minerals you will probably get some off flavors in the beer.

Most definitely discard that water. If you are using bottled or filtered water to brew, I would go with straight tap water for that initial boil and then dump it. There is no sense in risking any off flavors in your beer.

Quick update-First brew day was successful, but tiring. It took three trips to the local sporting goods store to get a turkey burner that wasn't broken somehow...they got tired of seeing me.

I boiled the snot out of the pot for a good 30 mins, rinsed, and started boiling another 5 gal for my first batch. Popped the lid off just before boiling and the water was black again. So I topped of the pot and boiled the snot out of it for another 30 minutes. Glad I had extra propane tanks handy. The actual brewing part was great, though. I brewed a pale ale from True Brew (it came with my CL kit, so I figured I might as well screw up one of those before something I'm really interested in making). Hopped extract in a can, but at least with some specialty grains to steep and 1 oz of hop pellets to add in for the boil.

I cooled my wort in a large trash can filled w/ water and ice. The first water change brought it down 50 degrees, the next three took it down 25 per change. That went quicker than I though it would :)

Now my beer has been in the guest bathtub for the last two days with the airlock glurgging along nicely-- it even smells like beer :D

So I guess I did it...I made beer:D Now for the hard part...waiting.

Yeah you would actually have realized when you saw the water that you wouldn't want to use it....We've even had panic threads started when they see it.

But sadly common sense is often forgotten when people are starting a somewhat scary and complicated hobby like brewing, we have actually had people do batches (usually full boil extracts, not AG) with the water, then panic after.

So no harm in asking BEFORE you got started. :mug:

Back