Dum Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
Hey everyone I know coming form a rookie brewer this is a dum question but I'm about to step up from the simple Mr Beer setup to a 5 gallon setup. I'm looking at buying kits and the one I was looking at has a 5 gallon carboy. With the Mr. Beer setup it was just the simple one stage fermentation and bottle. What exactly does the carboy do if I do a second fermentation. Also what do people think are the most important things I should look for when getting a setup kit?

The secondary fermentation is to get the beer off the yeast to help clear it up. Also if you are looking to rack a beer for a long time period i.e. multiple months like a barley wine, you want to get it off the yeast to prevent off flavors. I am pretty sure there is a thread in either the beginners or the general discussion that goes more in depth.

buy a kegging kit and a cheap fridge and turn into a kegerator. Kegging is way easier.

I bought the deluxe kit from Northern Brewer. It had a 6 gallon Better Bottle and a 5 gallon Better Bottle for secondary. I quickly bought another 6 gallon, and a bucket fermenter and now rarely do a secondary. I use the 5 gallon BB for smaller batches.

If it is a glass carboy weigh the risks. They are heavy, slippery and can cause serious injury if/when they break.

Thanks guys sounds like from checking out that other thread that the carboy isn't very important. But it said that it may be usefull in doing fruit. I currently have a strawberry hef fermenting and in it I just cut the fruit and boiled it into a syrup /jam type and added it into the boil did I screw up??? This is one of my new favorite websites. I'm addicted.

Actually if you read the whole post he is asking about fermenting and suggestions on what to look for in brewing kits.

I would reccomed going with some 6.5 or 7.8 gal food grade buckets. Having the bottling spigot works in primarys also. Easy to clean. I have a glass carboy, and have used it twice out of 20 brews. The buckets are much more relistic. And get some airlocks and grommets for the lids. I have heard of people getting buckets from grocery stores that make food. Or order online or lhbs

If you are doing fruit beers it is great to have an extra carboy. If you are making all malt beers, like me, I would recommend saving the money and buy an extra 6.5 gal ale pail or two. I bought a kit with a 5 gallon carboy and quickly bought another pail. If I could do it over I would have skipped the carboy and gotten three pails. My guess, having never done a fruit beer, is that you could simple rack to a pail instead of carboy as the sugar in the fruit will give you a second fermentation and make the extra headspace in the pail a non-issue.

Back