Dude, Check This Out!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
man, my wife is FREAK'N AWESOME! :D our 1 year anniversary is coming up, and she couldn't keep her "gift" for me a suprise any longer. she has arranged for me to brew for a day at a micro-brewery in Houston (Saint Arnold's) on August 19th. they start mashing at 4:30 in the am, and i have a 1.75 hr drive! doesn't matter, probably will not be able to sleep any way!!! :D i'll get to do a little bit of every thing from what the Brewmaster said. just need to sign a waiver, and i'll be a brewin' fool!!!! :p

Great present!

I brewed 250 gals at the Blue Cat Pub in Rock Island, IL when I won the local HB Contest back in '97. :D

Be sure to have someone take pictures of you in action. I only have a few....somewhere... :(

Man , that is awesome! Do you get to bring some home. How did she manage to do that deal. I want to know so I can start hinting to my wife what a great Bday that would be.

well, she just kinda e-mailed the brewery and asked them what the odd's where. he e-mailed back and said no problem that they had done it once before for another lady's husband. she has been coordinating with the brewer for a few days now, and everything seems to be set. the reason she couldn't wait was because of me!
a friend and i went to Houston saturday to get ingredients, and as we always do, we stop at Two Rows Restaurant and Brewery for a few brews and lunch. we got to yukin' it up with the brewer, and i asked him what the odd's of me getting to brew with him one day were? he said, "pretty damn good!". he showed us all around, let us climb on the mash/lauter tank, brew platform, etc. so, i couldn't wait to get home and tell her. i couldn't understand why she wasn't as excited as i was :^) then she crumbled and told me about what she planned for me!!!
so, i get to brew w/ two commercial brewers, hands on. not to shabby hu?

HB 99, i doubt i'll beable to have anyone taking pic's of me brewing @ 430 am! LOL!!!!!

DeRoux's Broux said:
man, my wife is FREAK'N AWESOME! :D our 1 year anniversary is coming up, and she couldn't keep her "gift" for me a suprise any longer. she has arranged for me to brew for a day at a micro-brewery in Houston (Saint Arnold's) on August 19th. they start mashing at 4:30 in the am, and i have a 1.75 hr drive! doesn't matter, probably will not be able to sleep any way!!! :D i'll get to do a little bit of every thing from what the Brewmaster said. just need to sign a waiver, and i'll be a brewin' fool!!!! :p

I'm just curious....did she have to pay for it? Is that some kind of promotion from the brewery? EDIT: Nevermind...you answered it as we were posting at the same time!!!

The reason I ask is that our local brewery's brewmaster asked me last week to come over for brewday anytime. He said in exchange for picking his brain all day about stuff I wanted to know about--I could help with cleanup at the end. I'm not looking forward to shoveling a thousand pounds of grain out of the MLT, but it will be worth it probably. The smell is worth it in itself.

I've helped bottle over there a few times now--it has its perks for sure. I can drink all I want and I usually come home with a sixer of duds (not quite all the way filled bottles, that don't get labeled).

Anyway....sounds cool as heck man. You'll enjoy that. I hear nothing but AWESOME stuff about St. Arnold's all the time. Wish we could get there beer here!!!!!!

nope, it's free. Saint Arnold's is also a part of the apprentice program with the California Brewer's Guild distant education program. so, that maybe one reason they don't have a problem doing this. sounds like a good deal on your end too. i figure any time someone is willing to let me hang out while they brew, that's more i learn......plus, they're cool as hell! every Sat @ 1:00 they do the free tour, and free brews. it's always packed with people. if you buy one of their logo mugs or glasses (some are huge!), they fill those up, which is way more than sample glass they give everyone else.
if you want, i could mail you a sixer in trade for some brew from your neck of the woods? i like the Elissa IPA the best. just may get a "little" warm when shipping....

DeRoux's Broux said:
so, i get to brew w/ two commercial brewers, hands on. not to shabby hu?

HB 99, i doubt i'll beable to have anyone taking pic's of me brewing @ 430 am! LOL!!!!!

I couldn't be happier for you . Sounds like a great time.

Oh, come on, someone has to have a camera. It's not all work. There's time for posing! :D

YOU SUCK!

sorry just the jealousy coming out.

that's an awesome gift. she's a keeper for sure.

brewhead said:
YOU SUCK!

sorry just the jealousy coming out.

that's an awesome gift. she's a keeper for sure.
hehehehehe, yup, she's a good one all right!

she knows me all too well!!!!!! :p

i think i'll bring a growler of my brew to let them taste too?

We have two brew-pubs in my 'hood. Used to have three, but my fave closed for some reason. One I haven't been to yet (don't know why) and the other is Ram, which is in several other cities.

The one I really liked, O'Gradys, had a brewmaster general who would give spontaneous tours when he was in a good mood. My friend and I got a tour just because we told him we liked the beer, and we got a couple of freebies.

It's a shame they closed.

Latest posts

Back