Dubbel Stuck at 1.031

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmsteve512

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Belgian Dubbel that is at 1.031 and I am trying to get it down to 1.02 to avoid some bottle bombs.
The fermentation has started off slow and has been slow ever since. Been in the primary for 4+ weeks now.
Any advice on how to jump start things. Thanks

wow. i assume you aerated after the boil. if not that could result in a slugish fermentation. you could try warming things up to the upper 60s. might add some DAP and/or yeast energizer. could add some fresh yeast. as an absolute last resort you could add some Beano. but a word of caution adding Beano will completely dry out your beer.

Hello, I have a Belgian Dubbel that is at 1.031 and I am trying to get it down to 1.02 to avoid some bottle bombs.
The fermentation has started off slow and has been slow ever since. Been in the primary for 4+ weeks now.
Any advice on how to jump start things. Thanks

If your OG has stopped dropping you're not going to get bottle bombs just because the FG is high. If fermentation is over its over. I may be corrected on this, but that's what logic tells me.

On another note, have you checked the Hydrometer for calibration? What yeast did you use?

What yeast did you pitch?

I would suggest an active starter of Wyeast 3787, that should get it down.

Without a recipe we are just poking sticks into the dark. Tell us your recipe, process, mash temp and time and fermentation notes.

I just made up a belgian dubbel and mashed at 152 for an hour, fermented at 65 for a week using Wyeast 3787 and it got down to 1.010 from 1.066. Let us know.

Without a recipe we are just poking sticks into the dark. Tell us your recipe, process, mash temp and time and fermentation notes.

I just made up a belgian dubbel and mashed at 152 for an hour, fermented at 65 for a week using Wyeast 3787 and it got down to 1.010 from 1.066. Let us know.

This

Yet again another post where if a Fast Ferment test was done many questions could be answered.

Thanks for the input. It was a partial mash recipe:
Ingredients
6 lbs of Light Liquid extract
1.0 lbs of Dry Light malt extract
2.0 lbs of Pilsner malt
1.0 lbs of Caramunich I
2.0 lbs of Clear Candi Sugar
1.0 oz of Styrian Goldings (bittering)
1 package Wyeast Trappist 3787

OG was 1.069. It is still actively fermenting as we speak. Fermentation temp has been between 65 and 70 Perhaps the only thing missing is patience?!?!?!

Not to ask the stupid question but what is a "fast ferment test"

When you are about to pitch your starter into the wort, take some wort and put it in your starter. Shake, and pour most of it back into the fermenter. Then take some additional fresh (unpitched) wort and put it in the starter container again so there is enough to take hydro samples.

The point being to do a fast ferment to see what the big ferment should do. Note that I have never done this...but figured it out since I think I have my first stuck ferment.

Back