Dual regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetski

Reaction score
I've done a little searching and can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I'm new to kegging and I'm looking at using dual regulators coming off the C02 tank. I'm wondering how setting different pressures work. Does the first regulator in line have to have a higher pressure setting than the second or can it be lower?

i.e. I want to run one at 30 psi to force carb a keg and one at 10. Does the first have to be at 30 psi or can I set either one however I want?

A dual regulator shows two pressures, one called the high pressure gauge which simply shows you the pressure reading in your CO2 tank, which isn't very accurate when kept inside the kegerator/keezer with the CO2 tank. It will show you a level pressure until shortly before the tank is empty then start suddenly dropping as opposed to keeping it outside at a warmer temp. it's still helpful though cause it still provides some advanced warning. The next gauge is called the low pressure guage and that shows the pressure going out to the keg or secondary regulator. Now, there are some primary regulators that have three guages and that is basically a dual guage regulator with a 2-product out, which means you can then set the pressure separately for two different kegs. Anything past two and the common thing to do is buy a dual gauge primary and a secondary regulator. The main out of the primary is connected via a gas line and you set a master output pressure that feeds the secondary. From there you set the pressure going into each keg via the secondary. I have the Taprite 3-product secondary shown below since I have a 3-tap kegerator. This let's me simply leave the primary regulator set to 35psi, since I often force carbonate, and then set the pressure for each keg separately with the secondary. Let me know if this makes sense. I can show pics if necessary:

tn375_large_tf_T1683ST081810101154.jpg

Rev.

A dual regulator shows two pressures, one called the high pressure gauge which simply shows you the pressure reading in your CO2 tank, which isn't very accurate when kept inside the kegerator/keezer with the CO2 tank. It will show you a level pressure until shortly before the tank is empty then start suddenly dropping as opposed to keeping it outside at a warmer temp. it's still helpful though cause it still provides some advanced warning. The next gauge is called the low pressure guage and that shows the pressure going out to the keg or secondary regulator. Now, there are some primary regulators that have three guages and that is basically a dual guage regulator with a 2-product out, which means you can then set the pressure separately for two different kegs. Anything past two and the common thing to do is buy a dual gauge primary and a secondary regulator. The main out of the primary is connected via a gas line and you set a master output pressure that feeds the secondary. From there you set the pressure going into each keg via the secondary. I have the Taprite 3-product secondary shown below since I have a 3-tap kegerator. This let's me simply leave the primary regulator set to 35psi, since I often force carbonate, and then set the pressure for each keg separately with the secondary. Let me know if this makes sense. I can show pics if necessary:

tn375_large_tf_T1683ST081810101154.jpg

Rev.

So from the picture shown, you set the first to 35 psi. I guess my main question would be, do the second and third regulators have to be set progressively lower or can you set the second lower than the third? I don't know how these work, but it seams that each regulator in progression lets whatever pressure it is set at through to the next so the next would not be allowed to be set higher than the previous. Am I making any sense? Maybe these allow full pressure from the tank through to the next before being regulated?

So from the picture shown, you set the first to 35 psi. I guess my main question would be, do the second and third regulators have to be set progressively lower or can you set the second lower than the third? I don't know how these work, but it seams that each regulator in progression lets whatever pressure it is set at through to the next so the next would not be allowed to be set higher than the previous. Am I making any sense? Maybe these allow full pressure from the tank through to the next before being regulated?

You can set any of the regulators to whatever pressure you want regardless of their position in line.

Yes. You are making sense.

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I'm pretty excited to make the switch to kegging.

Yeah you'dbe setting them to the pressure you want to use for each keg, you wouldn't set the first to 35psi, you'd set the first (called primary) regulator that is attached to the CO2 tank to 35, or what ever max pressure you want. That regulator then feeds the 3-product (simply meaning 3 output) secondary via gas tubing. I'll snap a photo of mine and upload it when I get to work.

Rev.

OK, at the bottom is a pic of my primary and secondary regulators. Since space is tight inside my kegerator I just sit the secondary on the floor on its side. Typically people mount it somewhere.

Since you only plan on having two kegs you can skip a secondary regulator and get a dual product primary like in this pic

tn375_t752hplarge2092311141638.jpg

regulators.jpg

OK, at the bottom is a pic of my primary and secondary regulators. Since space is tight inside my kegerator I just sit the secondary on the floor on its side. Typically people mount it somewhere.

Since you only plan on having two kegs you can skip a secondary regulator and get a dual product primary like in this pic

Thank you for the help Rev. I'm almost all set up now. I received my "add on" regulator body yesterday and got it installed. Now I just need to work on getting those kegs filled!

Rev's info is all great, but just to clarify, this statement is not correct:

A dual regulator shows two pressures, one called the high pressure gauge which simply shows you the pressure reading in your CO2 tank, which isn't very accurate when kept inside the kegerator/keezer with the CO2 tank. It will show you a level pressure until shortly before the tank is empty then start suddenly dropping as opposed to keeping it outside at a warmer temp.

The high pressure gauge reads the vapor pressure above the liquid CO2 inside the CO2 tank, and at any reasonable temperature it is almost entirely independent of how much liquid CO2 is remaining in the tank. So if your CO2 tank is in or out of the kegerator, the gauge still doesn't tell you how much CO2 is left until you boil off all the liquid and are using the remaining gas.

day_trippr likes to post this chart to clarify:
co2pvstemp.gif

:mug:

So if your CO2 tank is in or out of the kegerator, the gauge still doesn't tell you how much CO2 is left until you boil off all the liquid and are using the remaining gas.

Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't aware that the temperature doesn't matter. :mug:

Rev.

Jetski,
There is a pattern with regulators. The horizontal ports share the input pressure (a bus). The vertical ports share that regulator's pressure. This logic works for primary regulators (that have a tank connection) and also secondary regulators (that have an mfl or barb) on the end.

I'm trying to set my kegerator up just like yours. I am getting a two faucet kegerator that can hold three kegs from beverage factory. It looks like you may be doing the exact same set up I have mostly.

Can you post some pictures of how you have the inside set up? Are you able to fit your secondary and primary regulators with three kegs all inside? I'm going to be getting the new morebeer slim torpedo kegs so I should have a little bit more room.

image.jpeg

Can you post some pictures of how you have the inside set up? Are you able to fit your secondary and primary regulators with three kegs all inside?.

That picture of mine you posted basically shows the way it is. All three regular sized AEB Italian-made 5 gallon kegs fit with the regulators setup that way, at least with the kegerator I had (Kegco K309-B). You just have to arrange the kegs a certain way. One goes toward the back and a bit to the right and the other two upfront. Worked great. You do need to pull out the keg nearest the secondary regulator to make accurate adjustments to the PSI however since you need to see the gauge, but I really only set the initial and then tweaked once the gas pressure settled so it wasn't inconvenience at all.

Rev.

Thank you so much! I know that was your picture I for some reason couldn't post directly with your picture so I had to save it and then post. If you get around to it, a few additional pictures would be awesome! But the biggest question I had was to make sure that you had all three kegs in there at the time of that picture. Didn't know if you had only two or not. Thanks again for the feedback! This will be how I set mine up now!

I was originally going to put the tank outside and then run through the back to the secondary but I really wanted it all in one!

I'll be adding a tower cooler as well. That's the reason for addition pictures. I don't know exactly where it will go just yet.

Back