Drying too much millet malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beljica

Reaction score
Yeah this looks a little sketchy but I'm watching it closely. I malted 30 pounds of millet and now it is drying before deculming and finally kilning. I havent posted here in years, but I thought I would check in again and see how it was going on here.

Wow that's quite a contraption. Where'd you get all the millet? Let us know how it turns out as malted millet is stupid expensive online.

Yeah it seems to be working well. I just set some bricks down on a plastic sheet and then set the boards down. I am going to run it tonight just to be sure the malt is dry enough before I kiln it in the oven. I've done this before and it turns out well as long as you kiln the grains properly afterwards. Otherwise the beer can have a weird, plant taste. I got the millet at a feed store for cheap. You just have to be sure that it has the hull on. Hulled millet wont sprout.

I'll post an update after I knock the rootlets off.

I dried it out using this contraption and then tossed it in the cloths dryer for about an hour. I need to get the rootlets off but I'll be doing that tomorrow before it gets vacuum sealed up for later.

I think it turned out pretty well so far. I've done this a few times now and all I can say is that you gotta be sure to put it in the oven for long enough.

Very nice work! I take the easy way out and buy my malts, but I certainly appreciate the effort. Well done!

i malt barley, so in case the OP ventures this way again, how long should the rootlets/acrospire get with millet? (i guess i could google it, but thought the info could be useful for the thread)

Back