Dryhopping for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
I tried my pale ale today (PM version of Ed's Haus Ale) and it was absolutely fantastic. It fermented much drier than my previous beers and already tastes better after 7 days than the rest did at 5-6 weeks after brewing.

I feel that a little more hoppiness would kick it up another level and turn a great beer into a fantastic beer, so I was thinking of dry hopping it with 1 oz of 7.6% AA while leaf cascade I got from the HBT pay it forward thread.

Would this amount be appropriate? How does the AA effect dryhopping? It seems like most of the people here dry hop with 5.5% AA.

The AAU's don't really matter with dryhopping. My only advice for dryhopping is pick a hop you typically enjoy. Flavor/Aroma hops are best for this, but I've used bittering hops with success too. Cascade hops will work great for dryhopping. Check the flavor after about 7 days because if you leave it in too long, you'll start to get grassy off flavors from the hops.

Back