Dry yeast vs. wet yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryNL

Reaction score
It seems the more experienced brewers always seem to use wet yeast - either in test tubes or smack packs, but most kits come with dried yeast.

Are there advantages to using one or the other?

Kits come with dry yeast because it is cheaper and doesn't have to be refrigerated. This allows the kit manufacturer to make up the kit and sit it on a shelf in the store or stock room until it is purchased.
My next brew will be my first experience with liquid yeast so I can't comment of quality differences. However I can say dry yeast is very easy to use and quickly starts fermenting.
You can always buy the liquid yeast separate from the kit and just save the dry for a backup. Dry yeast will keep in a fridge for over a year.
Craig

Yeast selection is as important as any other ingredient selection in the brew! Dry yeast has limited uses when it comes to some types of beers. Both my belgian wit and my wheat beers would not be the same without specific yeast strains. Having said that, I use Nottinghams dry yeast in my coffee and chocolate stouts, and keep leftover packs in the fridge in case one of my saved strains of liquid goes dud and i'm in a pinch.

Nottingham rocks in my Haus Pale Ale. Cheap too! I use liquid yeasts for my Hefe, Kolsch, and California Common, but I take those $6.49 vials and propagate them into 4 batches at least. It keeps the cost down.

Latest posts

Back