Dry yeast for Oyster Stout (dry stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Following the recipe from BYO for Black Pearl Oyster Stout, the recipe calls for Irish Ale yeast 1084. Being that I don't have 1084 on hand, I will be using a dry yeast and hope for good results.

I have fresh sachets of SO-4 and US-05. Being that the oyster nuance is very subtle and delicate in this beer, I am a bit afraid to bring out any fruity esters that would mask the oyster. My thinking is that SO-4 may compete and overtake the oyster nuance. US-05 has always been what I feel is a safe bet, but I expect the FG may be a bit lower than the SO-4 will offer.

Choices, choices...may I ask if US-05 or SO-4 is a better yeast to use?

BTW...I have tight temp controls so I wont be struggling to keep temps stable.

Last edited:
If given the choice between US-05 and SO-4 which I have on hand, which would you select as the best choice?

Only other choice would be Nottingham which is a fairly clean yeast.

I would get some nottingham and ferment cold (around 55F). But if you are going to use what you have then US-05 at around 60F.

Since I had two suggestions for Nottingham, I placed an order on Amazon Prime and will get here in time for a brew weekend.

Nottingham is one of those strains that can go down to lager temps...or as high as ale temps. I'll try 55F since I don't want to encourage any esters from developing.

Thanks for the help!

Nottingham is one of those strains that can go down to lager temps...or as high as ale temps.

FYI it's not a single strain, it's a blend - of some kind of "lager" yeast and an ale yeast. Seems to be a lot more popular in the UK than Stateside, I guess the relative pricing must be a factor. (and we can get a cut-price version in one of the High St shops here, which helps...)

Yes, I noted the price was a bit higher per sachet when compared to SO-4 or US-05 which I use often. Nottingham is reported to be quite acceptable in many styles from a Kolsch to stouts and even IPA's. This yeast seems especially versatile, and I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Nottingham works well in hoppy beers, so it's good for IPAs and Pale ales. It's clean, so I wouldn't use it for styles which require a complex ester profile, but given how attenuating and flocculating it is, it's a great choice for many styles.

Good input. I am purposely trying to broaden my scope of dry yeast usage. Obviously there are limitations with dry compared to liquid, but all in all, dry can be a real plus in a home brewery.

This Nottingham yeast has kicked in pretty quickly. 24 hours in and we are fully engaged with temps in the upper 50's F.

This is a Stout, so in honor of the illustrious Stormy Daniels, I am naming this beer "Stormy Stout". Not sure the term "honor" is appropriate, but...

So it's a young beer that you shouldn't be drinking because you've already got one that's been ageing in the cellar for some time, but this one has more fizz and gives you a right good spanking?

Should surely be a bottled blonde though?

[can't believe this is the most important thing in the world right now, but our front page news is an Australian cricketer who had some sticky tape down his trousers, so go figure.]

Yes, I noted the price was a bit higher per sachet when compared to SO-4 or US-05 which I use often. Nottingham is reported to be quite acceptable in many styles from a Kolsch to stouts and even IPA's. This yeast seems especially versatile, and I am looking forward to giving it a try.
Just stumbled upon this but Nottingham works pretty well as a cider yeast too. Cheers

Just stumbled upon this but Nottingham works pretty well as a cider yeast too. Cheers

Tomorrow will be a full week in the fermenter. The stout started at 1.058 and is now 1.013 at 60F. The samples indicate this beer will smooth out and be textbook perfect by next Saturday when I rack into keg on day 14. A couple or three weeks on the cold side mellowing in keg and we are gonna have a drinker here! Nottingham will be a yeast that will be on my "keep on hand" list.

This Nottingham yeast has kicked in pretty quickly. 24 hours in and we are fully engaged with temps in the upper 50's F.

This is a Stout, so in honor of the illustrious Stormy Daniels, I am naming this beer "Stormy Stout". Not sure the term "honor" is appropriate, but...
An "oyster" stout. Got it. :bravo:

Back